1996 4x4 death wobble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 4x4 death wobble

kevbz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
So...I just bought a 1996 eddie bauer 4x4 for my son, we've put about 20 miles on it. It was the 4th explorer we looked at (I owned a 05 2wd that died from the timing chain issue) and definitely the lowest miles and nicest kept, no warning lights and everything worked. The PO took some money off because the battery wouldn't hold a charge and needed replaced. We drove away and stopped to fill it up, totally forgetting about the battery, we shut it down. Well, it wouldn't start...so without it running we put it in neutral and pushed and steered it away from the pumps to a spot. Got a new battery, got it started, and got back on the road.

We now had a ABS light and at 60mph got the death wobble. I was familiar with it because I own a Jeep wrangler and they are notorious for it. we take it easy and get home and the first thing that pops up in my search is that explorers, when steered without the motor and ABS pump running, suck air and experience death wobble.

I read to let it sit over night and purge the air out, or drive it and turn lock to lock turns to work the air out. Is it that simple? The wrangler death wobble comes from changing the geometry of the suspension when lifting, which this explorer is not.

Did i just suck some air into the ABS system and cause the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds very similar to an issue I had several years ago, when I owned my 1996 Explorer. I can't remember all the details, but I had some work done at a garage. It was something up front...might have been work on the brakes/suspension/steering, but when I drove away I felt a slight wobble that turned into a shake that felt like one of my wheels was about to fall off. The steering wheel practically jumped from side to side. I pulled over expecting to see missing lug nuts or something obvious, but nothing. Drove straight back to the shop and they took it for a test drive. The mechanic came back and said it was air in the system. I believe they got it out by turning the steering wheel lock to lock, while stationary, something like ten times to each side. Problem solved.

Easy enough to try but usually occurs when tires are off the ground while work is being done. If you can find a reasonably smooth surface, water the ground and try purging it. Agree above, the shaking can be incredibly violent and unsafe. GL

Walmart parking lot. Drive in a slow figure-8 until you're happy with it.

I just got in it and the ABS light was gone. I went to a local parking lot and did slow figure 8's, then got it on the county highway and hit 65-70mph. seems pretty good. I cant believe turning the wheels with the motor off causes that. I wonder how many service centers made some diagnostic money off that design over the years

I read to let it sit over night and purge the air out, or drive it and turn lock to lock turns to work the air out. Is it that simple?

When my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor changed my power steering fluid, all he did was turn it lock to lock to purge, sitting in his garage.

...or drive it and turn lock to lock turns to work the air out. Is it that simple?

Yep, just that simple. I recently did inner & outer tie rod ends (L&R) on my '98 SOHC 4x. Had to turn the wheels a bunch when she was up on jackstands. When I did the test drive I had the shakes like you can't believe!! Thought I really screwed something up!! Did some research here, then did the lock2lock Fig8 fix and she is now solid as a rock and tracks nice straight and true. Really scary problem fixed by a really simple procedure.:salute:

PS: Top off the PS fluid after the fig 8 turns. It might drop a bit as the fluid backfills the air pockets.

Back