1996 Explorer 5.0L V8 Harmonic Balancer taper won't fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 5.0L V8 Harmonic Balancer taper won't fit

Hunter32

Reaction score
City, State
Edgewater, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 5.0
Hey all,
1996 5.0L engine. I need to replace my harmonic balancer but all of the ones listed as compatible to my truck/engine will not work. The taper diameter/depth on the inside of the balancer does not match up with the taper on my crankshaft, nor the taper diameter/depth of the balancer that I removed. It hardly even slips onto the crank.

I've attached two images. The orange-ish colored balancer is my old one. The clean one is the new one I got from Rockauto here (PN ATP 102140).

All of the other balancers listed for my engine look to have the shallow taper as well.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

harmonic b1.jpg harmonic b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,
1996 5.0L engine. I need to replace my harmonic balancer but all of the ones listed as compatible to my truck/engine will not work. The taper diameter/depth on the inside of the balancer does not match up with the taper on my crankshaft, nor the taper diameter/depth of the balancer that I removed. It hardly even slips onto the crank.

I've attached two images. The orange-ish colored balancer is my old one. The clean one is the new one I got from Rockauto here (PN ATP 102140).

All of the other balancers listed for my engine look to have the shallow taper as well.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

View attachment 437692 View attachment 437693
Buy the part from the ford dealer. Sometimes the only correct part is from the dealership

It is odd, but all images I can find of compatible parts show the shallow taper as well.

The only one that remotely looks compatible that I just found online is a Dorman 594-155S "street" version (here).

The difference in tapers shown larger here:
Dorman 594-155
594-155-007.jpg

Dorman 594-155S
594-155S-003.jpg

Dorman Website showing both compatible w/my truck

They list them both as compatible, but you can clearly see a difference in taper depth. I have a stock engine; perhaps they had a different crank taper in early '96 5.0l engines? Assuming mine is even an early engine?

It is odd, but all images I can find of compatible parts show the shallow taper as well.

The only one that remotely looks compatible that I just found online is a Dorman 594-155S "street" version (here).

The difference in tapers shown larger here:
Dorman 594-155
View attachment 437701

Dorman 594-155S
View attachment 437700

Dorman Website showing both compatible w/my truck

They list them both as compatible, but you can clearly see a difference in taper depth. I have a stock engine; perhaps they had a different crank taper in early '96 5.0l engines? Assuming mine is even an early engine?
On another vehicle , I have a small block engine with a large block crank. They made it available for only two year,I needed a flywheel. I found one NOS at a dealer in the middle of nowhere. The flywheel or flexplate was only available at a dealership.

Seems very odd. I thought the only flavors of balancers for 302’s were the early 28oz vs the later 50oz’s, all Explorer’s being 50s.

No part number on the factory balancer?

Is there a part number on the old balancer? Looking at the selection on rockauto, makes me wonder how many 96 explorers with the 5.0 were neutral or 28 oz balanced from the factory? Are you the original owner of the explorer? If not, the previous owner could have used a motor out of something else like a 95 mustang.

I’ll have to remove it again to inspect for a pn. I’ve had the truck for 13 years now, and I’m the 2nd owner, the original owner being my aunt, and trust me she didn’t change anything lol

With that said, how do I know what balancer I need, besides the obvious fit? I.E. you’ve mentioned neutral, 28oz, and 50oz flavors.

I’m trying to chase down excessive engine vibration after redoing the entire ignition system and the isolated portion of the balancer is visibly out of alignment axially with the crank so I’m attempting to replace it next.

quick video here

It’s extremely unlikely it’s a neutral (internal balance) motor. None of the factory 302s should be internal. I’d see if any parts stores had them in stock to compare from the two. I believe they both should be the same taper, however.

I’ll have to remove it again to inspect for a pn. I’ve had the truck for 13 years now, and I’m the 2nd owner, the original owner being my aunt, and trust me she didn’t change anything lol

With that said, how do I know what balancer I need, besides the obvious fit? I.E. you’ve mentioned neutral, 28oz, and 50oz flavors.

I’m trying to chase down excessive engine vibration after redoing the entire ignition system and the isolated portion of the balancer is visibly out of alignment axially with the crank so I’m attempting to replace it next.

quick video here
It should be 50 oz. F67Z6312AA shows to be the part number of the balancer you need but that X references with the balancer that doesn't fit. I'd call the parts department of the ford dealer near you. They can look it up by vin to verify the part you need.

This Ebay one *looks* to be correct like my old one, with a PN of F67E-AB. I'll have to see if I can find a PN on my balancer that matches

This Ebay one *looks* to be correct like my old one, with a PN of F67E-AB. I'll have to see if I can find a PN on my balancer that matches
There is a listing on ebay with a balancer new in the original packaging. F67Z-6312-AA on the listing and F67E-AB on the side of the balancer.

I installed a Powerbond balancer a couple of years ago, the Dayco brand is a nice quality and popular. The replacement types and brands seem to be under $100, OEM or other higher brands are over $200.

RA has the PB1463ST PowerBond-Performance unit I got for $163 plus shipping and taxes. Amazon's is $200 plus taxes.

I hadn't heard of any SBF balancer not working, I'd guess it's a poor brand or made improperly. All 302's have the same snout dimensions, any SBF balancer will(should if made right) bolt onto them. There are no no-50oz balancers after the start of roller 302's, they phased out the 28oz imbalance in those cross over years when they had the old stock lopo engines in models like low end Lincolns and Crown Vic's etc. After about 1987 everything is 50oz for all SBF's.

Balancer 50oz PB1463ST.JPG

I was able to verify the PN on my balancer to indeed be: F67E-AB, then there's "17436" after it.

IMG_9397.jpg IMG_9395.jpg

I did mine several years ago with a piece from RockAuto. (I don't remember which brand.) I had the same issue. I polished the inside of the balancer with emery cloth until it fit. No issues since.

Back