1996 Explorer A/C woes, where to look for leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer A/C woes, where to look for leak

kgsoto

Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 5.0
Hello all, trying to get my 1996 Explorer V8 A/C working again.

Backstory: A/C worked fine for years, then lost cooling. Refilled with a DIY can and had cool air for few days then back to warm air again. Had so little refrigerant that the compressor wouldn't come on to recharge, had to jump the low pressure switch. Emptied an entire 18 oz can but the compressor won't even click on a few hours later, as if all the refrigerant has already escaped. Time to get serious.

I buy a gauge set, vacuum pump, orifice tube screen and a new accumulator - it looked like the original can with the foam sleeve. I took the accumulator off and stripped the foam away and saw no exterior rust or sign of oil leaking. Replaced accumulator anyway. Pulled orifice tube screen out - completely clean, no sludge, no sign of compressor failure. Replaced it anyway. Visual inspection of the rest of the system, no sign of anything obvious.

Hooked up the vacuum pump to evacuate the system. Pulls vacuum to about 15Hg within the first few seconds but will not pull lower after that, let the pump run for 20 minutes. Turn off the pump and lose all vacuum in a matter of seconds. So I'm thinking I have a substantial leak somewhere. I add some leak detector, hook up a can of r134a and start the engine, A/C on. After a minute the compressor clicks on and begins taking the refrigerant. Takes the whole 12 oz can. A/C blows cool, I get 50F at the vent on a very hot day (90F+ ambient). I check my pressure: low side: 45-50, high side 220-230, seems pretty good, although I know I've got nothing real since I never evacuated the system, just wanted to get the leak detector in the system. I drive it for 30 minutes and blows very cool. Check for leaks and don't see anything. Just because I have it I add another 12 oz. can. Close it up and head in for dinner.

Check under the hood that night with my UV light and funny glasses. I see a little something - specks really - all along the metal portion of the high pressure side tube coming from the compressor to the condensor in front of the radiator. But nothing major, not nearly enough to account for the 24oz of refrigerant and a 1/4 bottle of leak detector lost in few hours. I look everywhere, the compressor backside where the hoses attach and the pulley/shaft area, the schrader vales on the high and low side ports, all along the hoses, the expansion/orifice tube area, the new accumulator, the inlet/outlet of the evaporator, and the condensor. No sign of a leak.

So I'm stumped. Tell me what I should have done, or done differently, and tell me where to look for leaks, cause I'm not seeing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One obvious possibility is the evaporator itself. You may need to use the much more sensitive electronic sniffer for that. Harbor Freight sells those for around $70, but I have no clue how good they are. If you develop a friendly relationship with a small A/C shop (like I did), they will probably sniff with their pro detector for the price of a recharge. Good luck!

I'll agree the evaporator is a logical place to look, and a fairly common problem with the Ford/Expo system.

Might get lucky if you simply check the air box drain tube -- if the tube shows signs of oil, or the UV dye, you've likely got the smoking gun.

Thanks guys. going to look at this tomorrow.

One more possible...

Check the condensor...Remove the shroud and look for any oily or dirty areas on the face or around the connections...Anything wet, dirty, and/or oily is a leak...And it could be one of the o-rings in the system leaking as well...

When you opened up the system did you replace all the o-rings with new ones??? I know a basic question but when the system starts to leak all connections and o-rings are suspect...

I'll agree the evaporator is a logical place to look, and a fairly common problem with the Ford/Expo system.

Might get lucky if you simply check the air box drain tube -- if the tube shows signs of oil, or the UV dye, you've likely got the smoking gun.

Seems like you have good size leak if you can't hold a vacuum for long.

If you do buy a Freon Snooper here is a tip you can use.

Charge system, It doesn't have to be full.
Shut everything down and wait a few hours.

Come back and set A\C controls for MAX Air (Blower Speed Low) Ignition KEY OFF.

Place snooper tip inside of center A\C register.

Flip key to "On" but do not start. Watch reaction of snooper. If it blips for a few seconds you evaporator is leaking.

Theory is that Freon is heavier than Air and can't escape from the case. The blower pushes it out when you turn the key on.

Thanks all, going to try the sniffer and the process described by shucker. Will report back.

Back