• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Radio swap out

llrice

Reaction score
City, State
Oracle Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
:confused: HI ALL!! We just got a 1996 Ford Explorer about 3 weeks ago. It has a stock radio w/cass. and 4 speakers. We got a new jensen cd player/stereo put in and the speakers won't work. The wires were just cut and matched up (no wiring harn used). Does anyone, please, have the wire match up for speakers?? thanks for your help and time. Laura

Cutting cables is usually a bad idea....but... here is a run down of what my "reference" says for the 96 radio with cassette. O/R - RR speaker (-), BR/BK - RR speaker (+), DG/O - RF speaker (-), W/LG - RF speaker (+), GY/LB - LR speaker (-), T/Y LR speaker (+), LB/W - LF speaker (-), O/LG LF speaker (+). Hope it helps. I want to get a factory CD readio player to replace mine and am hoping to "stumble" on to one that plugs into existing wiring.

One thing to check is if you have a Premium system or not. 2 ways to do this. 1) Look on any of the speakers. They should say Premium if you have the Premium system. 2) check behind your center console. If you have controls for your radio, you have the Premium system.

If you do in fact have the Premium system, you also have an external amplifier in front of your storage net in the back of the passenger side, it's behind that panel. If you have it you'll have to bypass the amp to get your new head unit to work, as more than likely it has a built in amplifier. Go here for that:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87843&page=1&pp=20

If that's not the case, revert to Bud's reference.

done

thanks to both the posts regarding my stereo issue.. we got it all resolved and it is great to have music. (it turns out it was wired right - but we had to cut out the amp.. go figure) thanks again - this is a great website...

Back