1996 Explorer with issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer with issues.

dragoneyez

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
where to begin, in the past 2 months I have spent $300 + on repairs for my truck. 3 new O2 sensors, throttle postioner sensor, egr sensor and temp sensor. my truck runs worse now than it did before. i will start it and doesn't want to idle, it dies and have to restart it and does the samething. when i put it in gear it will idle about 500 rpms and seems to want to die so have to put it in neutral and apply gas to get it to idle. still showing error codes for my O2 sensors, an error code for my temp sensor. IDK I am at a lost, it is my only vehicle I have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. What are the code numbers? It could have a few things wrong such as leaking intake manifold gaskets, dirty IAC solenoid or MAF sensor, clogged fuel filter, leaking fuel pressure regulator, etc. Code numbers will help eliminate the guess work.

Clean the idle air control valve, then maybe the mass airflow sensor, check the air filter too. Are you getting any check engine light? Have you checked the upper intake bolts?

1996 explorer

The codes are reading P0136, P1131, P1151, P0301, P0171, P0174. I changed out the fuel filter and pump 2 years ago and my engine light is on. thank you for replying and i will try what you guys suggest. greatly appreciate it.

Since you have P0301, you may want to also have a look at the plug on cylinder one.

Back