• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer XLT won't start

mickd

Reaction score
City, State
yuba city, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Just got the car out of the mechanics shop for replacing transmission , transfer case and clutch. Drove about 3 miles to a gas station it ran good. After the fill up, the engine would crank over but not fire up. Battery is like new, check the fuel pump relay, can hear it pick. Check fuel cutoff switch not tripped. No ignition wires loose. Cannot smell excess fuel. Something happened when I opened the gas cap and filled the tank. What can it be ?
Going to tow it back to the mechanic for a looksee.

mickd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...that is exactly what i would suggest to do...take it back to the mechanic...odds are they didn't reconnect something all the way...if you start tinkering with it they may say it was something you did...;) good luck...

Welcome to Explorer Forum! Probably something dumb. Keep us informed.

96 explorer would not start after gas fill up.

took it back to the shop where they fixed the drive line, not their fault. They showed me when you bang on the gas tank just in front of of the drivers side rear wheel with wood hammer handle or similar tool, while turning over the engine, the fuel pump kicks on and it starts up. So I decided to take it home and fix it myself. bought a fuel pump kit for about $180, and set about siphoning the full tank of gas out, to remove the tank. Wasn't too bad, except for the filler tube and vent are very difficult to get off. You need a special tool to remove the gas lines too. 4 hours to remove the tank, only 1 1/2 hours to fix it and get it back together. Usually its the other way around. I may be slow cause I'm an old guy.

Ran fine after that, except the speedo was erratic and cruise control wont work now. Just replaced the Speed sensor, hidden in the rear of the transfer case. Only difficulty here is finding the correct part. I got a NAPA pn VSS311 worked for me.

Glad everything worked out for you.

Back