1997 A/C blower question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 A/C blower question

Scout3

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park. Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
My son's A/C seems to be working okay and will eventially get comfortable. The problem is that the blower does not seem to put out the volume of air that it should. It does respond to each switch setting but it just seems weak across all settings. Any ideas on what to check? Thanks.

Ed

Something new popped up concerning this. We have had very heavy rains the last two days. My son said when he turned it on alot of water dripped on the floor in the passengers floor area. I will not have a chance to look at this until this weekend. Is there a drain that must be cleaned out. As far as the original problem, all I can think of is just a weak fan motor. How hard is it to change?

Ed

Yes the evaporator does have a drain, it is pretty much straight down from the firewall. Check for leaves and trash. Water that gets in near the passenger wiper should flow through this drain. As to the other problem, the air damper is a known issue with that year. You can check the forums for more info on that with a search. Should that be the problem some people go in via dash removal but I read somewhere here that access may also be gained by removing the evaporator. a shop can recharge your system.

yes, there is a drain tube on the evaporator case and it can become clogged. in my area (Georgia) mud wasps like to build there nests in any hole they find. i eventually started making covers out of window screen and use wire ties to hold them in place on the drain tubes to keep them out. you probably noticed the leak in the interior after rain because of the increased humidity in the air causes the a/c system's evaporator to pull more moisture out of the air. i don't think this has anything to do with your fan running slow however. it could be the motor is wearing out or a blend door issue is blocking some of the air flow. it could even just be a low refrig charge and that the air just isn't as cold as it used to be.

Back