1997 Explorer XLT front end rebuild... questions inside.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer XLT front end rebuild... questions inside..

Actually the upper camber bolts where cake once I let a little WD40 sit on it over night due the rust that was on them. After that the bolts came right out, however because of the length one does have to be careful not to damage the brake line.

My real problem now is getting the outter tie rod end off of the inner so I can replace the end where the knuckle is bad. Then on to the lower ball joint...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. The silver ring I have never seen before. Maybe you should call them but I personally wouldnt worry about it.

2.The tie rod end boots I think should be alright as they get shuished between the knuckle and the ball joint when you put it on so probably no worries there.

3. The bolts that came with the UCA's are new pinch bolts that go into the knuckle. You can replace them if you want. But just to be sure, when you take out the old pinch bolt, hold them next to each other for confirmation.

4. On the two piece design, to my knowledge all you have to replace is the outer part with the ball joint in it.

5. (Colo4X4) I assume you are talking about the camber adjustment bolts that hold the UCA to th frame? Get an 18" bar and go from there. they wont be easy. Also getting the bolt out is going to be a pain in the ass. I recommend that you get someone to help because there should be hard lines in the way of the camber washer.

thank you for that post. the only thing w/#4 is i need to change the upper control arm bushings as well that is why i was asking about the other piece i do not have. but all-in-all thanks for the helpful post. :salute:

Actually the upper camber bolts where cake once I let a little WD40 sit on it over night due the rust that was on them. After that the bolts came right out, however because of the length one does have to be careful not to damage the brake line.

My real problem now is getting the outter tie rod end off of the inner so I can replace the end where the knuckle is bad. Then on to the lower ball joint...

here is another how-to thread about the inner tie rod ends. it should guide you through anything you need to know.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187888

as for myself, i am being a slacker i guess. i have not got to mine yet. i am just going to wait till i have everything i need to do the Whole front end. i would rather replace it all at once. :)

you could go buy the bushings and bring the piece to a shop for them to press them. They would probably charge a few bucks but nothing serious.

Xplorer, My issues continue, so apparently the right UAC does not come with the upper portion that has the bushing that attach to the frame. The guys had a right UCA rushed up the MTN here but when it got here a few hours later it was still not the correct part. I am going to run into town today and try and track down the full right UAC assembly and not just the half that they gave me yesterday...

you can replace the two piece design with a one piece like the drivers side has. If you do this then you have to buy camber adjusters for the new UCA.

Hello all. I ordered a similar front end kit off of Ebay, and I went at my front end the day after it arrived (99 XLS, 245 OHV, 4WD). It took three days to complete the job, although I did not replace the inner tie rod sockets (looked too complicated!). I also installed new brake rotors, pads, and wheel bearings on the front. I also installed a camber adjuster kit.

I spent the first day pulling the driver's side apart, the second day putting the driver's side back together, and the third day I took apart and put back together the passenger side.

Next time I'll order the one piece UCA for the passenger side, and I would suggest others do the same. Otherwise you have to live with the old bushings in the UCA. (Or pull it off and press in new bushings, which I didn't do).

I took it down for an alignment immediately and now my ride is much better. Still have one "clunk" left to isolate from the front end (when I go over bumps); it could be the lower control arm bushings, the UCA bushings on the passenger side, or the the stabilizer bar bushings.

I hadn't done much mechanical work in the last 5-10 years, and wasn't exactly a pro before that, but this job was easily done with the info and pictures available here. I rented the Ball joint press and bought a socket or two, but that was about it.

I would encourage others considering the job to go for it. It's not that hard!!

Cheers,

John

P.S. Great Site!

Back