M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well mark the tunnel off the list.I'm sure glad I went to a square tunnel, was much easier. Came out really good, looks stockish.should have plenty of clearance now and the carpet went back over it pretty good

I also checked all my wires for the tank and they are all right and good.3/8 of a tank is empty and just above ""e"" is 10 gallons.it does show more gas as you run out:(lol

Pics

You can see where it was rubbing on it already and that's just little over 1" of drop, going 3" more
20131005_144734_zpsd0c39481.jpg

20131005_165728_zps6bcf16fa.jpg

20131005_165737_zps8e857e24.jpg

And yea yea I know the blue carpet looks like crap:(

20131005_183415_zpsa5770fc2.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well didn't get anything done this weekend.I need to go get a set of explorer leafs and sway bar from the junkyard but it has been raining for 7 days straight here:(my shop is slam full of pallets right now so don't even have room to work.they all ship Wednesday so ill drag the rearend in here and get it all painted and rebuild.

I need to move the track bars in some and weld them up.also I'm going to have both shocks mounted on the front side of the axle so I can run a sway bar.so need to weld tabs on the axle and a new mount on the driverside frame rail for the shock.going to weld the tubes wile I'm at it.
If you are on Facebook you have seen this pic;)

20131007_110228_zps85393c26.jpg

Found something for Rudys motor before it's heads go on.
https://www.flatoutgroup.com/default.aspx

I've seen the rcc gaskets before.they get bad reviews and also need to use a wire ring gaskets with them.I would prefer to run traditional copper gasket if i was going to.we have a local guy here that makes them.I've be debating if I should use them because of having to machine the block and heads.I just don't know if I would really need them or not.ill have to have a talk with my machinist.

I honestly think the fel pro super duty may be just fine..I really only think I blew the stock fel pro ones because of the TTY head bolts.plus I'm dropping my compression down some so tunning will be easier. With my old compression I really would have been equal to about 14ish lbs at my new compression. So really only gaining a couple pounds of boost.but being stroked and all that, it will make wayyy more power per pound.

Sneak peak.its in but not 100% done so ill post more pics and details later....but WOW what a difference! !;)
20131019_123015_zps3b8afafa.jpg

well im 99% done.i had to take the sway bar back off tho,it hits the exhaust pipe and the old drivers side shock mount needs to be removed.your notice I bought a new shock mount from rockauto and ran both shocks towards the front.i made my own shock tabs and track bar tabs.track bar had to come in some sense ranger frames are smaller.

im running explorer 4 spring leaf packs for less drop and to help with the tank being so far back.i had shackle flip to begin with ,but put them back the stock way.had to use 4* shims also.i installed a ford racing clutch pack in it and I know why it says ""do not add extra clutch or shims"".it was so tight I barley could get the pin in as is.i didn't run an extra additive,i used full synthetic that said it had it in it.

installed a summit line lock also and wired it to a button on my shifter.all and all its a pretty big difference.in plants and takes off IF the tires are warm.on cold tires it will break loose very easy!!!

ok im sure im forgetting some stuff but on to the pics;)

20131026_182950_zps743cad69.jpg

20131026_183044_zpsa7265338.jpg

20131026_174510_zpsf3ffa993.jpg

don't know if I shown this or not but its my 50 amp switched power fuse box behind my glove box.it runs all my switched power things;)

20131027_141507_zpsf190d165.jpg

20131027_141837_zps6d25cd78.jpg

20131027_165826_zps3aeff80a.jpg

OLD
20131019_131848_zpseef0b032.jpg

NEW
20131020_234808_zps4bd02fef.jpg

OLD GAP
20131019_131956_zpsfdc4bbfd.jpg

NEW GAP
20131020_234613_zps48eddb07.jpg

OLD FRONT DROP ONLY
20130703_161308_zps3c5343a9.jpg

NEW 3'' FRONT 5"" REAR
20131021_175308_zpsd646e154.jpg

and testing the line locks....yea it blows a little smoke on start up and yea its indoors

Amazing job JD!
A labor of love. All upgrades done to accept a hot motor.
I picked up a fuse box much like yours to keep my wiring to my pumps clean. Also going to move my e-fan over to it.

Have you gone for a drive yet?

Amazing job JD!
A labor of love. All upgrades done to accept a hot motor.
I picked up a fuse box much like yours to keep my wiring to my pumps clean. Also going to move my e-fan over to it.

Have you gone for a drive yet?

Thanks;)Yea its been done for a week.I just didn't have shocks, sway bar or line locks hooked up till yesterday. Couldnt really get on it without shocks.but last night and today has been fun to drive for sure.traction is definitely a problem. Hopefully the new tires will solve that.thinking of going to a 335/35 for the rear and 295/40 front bfg g-force

O and if anyone comes across a 2006 mustang 4.0sohc t5 transmission let me know.that t5 will bolt right up and can be built wayyyyy stronger than the m5

Im guessing you have a weight transfer issue with that light front end and such tight suspension.

If you already are having traction issues, you are in big trouble.

Im guessing you have a weight transfer issue with that light front end and such tight suspension.

If you already are having traction issues, you are in big trouble.

I wouldn't think so.front is still wayyyy heavier. It plants and is stable as hell (no wheel hope..etc) its just these tires, they are just plain street tires and only 255/45.they aren't that that bad once they are REALLY warm, cold 1st &2nd you have to feather it or it will break loose..new tires should make all the difference.;) ooo and i only got like 2-3 gallons in the tank, I can add fuel which will add weight to the rear tires.
:burnout::burnout:

I know you havn't had much time to drive it yet, but hows the suspension and brakes feel?
Understeer? Oversteer?

You have done some MAJOR modifying from stock.

I know you havn't had much time to drive it yet, but hows the suspension and brakes feel?
Understeer? Oversteer?

You have done some MAJOR modifying from stock.

I really need to add some gas.I've been keeping it low because I have been working on the sender also.

The front springs are just progressive stock ones with a 50lb higher rating and the rear is just stock explorer leaves (slightly stiffer) its all in the shocks.I run Doetsch Nitro Slammer
(http://m.summitracing.com/parts/doe-m4039g) they are made for lowered trucks.they are pretty stiff tho but there is more to it than that, its about the valving and thats great on them.my front sway bar bushings are shot and don't have my rear bar on.I'm going to a larger front bar also.so it does have a some body roll on HARD turns, think the shocks is what's saving me from it being real noticeable. But once the tires are warm it drives and corners VERY well.steering and over all response is very fast,I would call it snappy. been a little nervous to push it to hard of fear of the rear breaking out tho...

The brakes are a DREAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Best brakes I've ever driven. They don't take long to heat up and no matter how hard I've pushed them I haven't had any dramatic fade.I've had them SMOKING and still will put you into the dash.again though the tires need to be warm and still have to be easy on them, can't over react or slam on them.I do still run abs in the rear for fear of it locking up into a turn.

Its super fun to drive now and think once I have my new sway bars, tires and ""some"" gas in the tank, it will be NASTY:D

The issues are describing sound like normal issues. Other than the brakes actually stopping you easily.

It sounds like this has been an amazing success.

Very Late Reply, very cool on your own company!!!

And WoW, miss a few days and you have the Ranger together! Very inspirational. Really like what you have done. Great Work.

The issues are describing sound like normal issues. Other than the brakes actually stopping you easily.

It sounds like this has been an amazing success.
Well I filled up today, put 20 gallons in it, still had about 2-3 gallons in it.one thing that became a problem is that I don't run a vacuum vent to the charcoal canister then to the tb(can't remember the technical name).on the b2 tank the vent was on the very top and I'm using the straps to press it against my bed to secure it.so I had to weld that hole shut and run a vented gas cap (hole drilled in it).

so after pushing the truck real hard through a ""slalom course"" I noticed on the longer sweeping right hard turns that gas would leak out.so looks like I won't be running a FULLLLL tank.plus with the tank full the rear dropped a 1 1/2".think 10-15 gallons is perfect. But with a full tank the truck is TOTALLY different. Rear feels like its got 50% more grip, takes turns way harder and launches much much nicer.no more sideways 2nd gear shifts or random break outs in first, much more control. Truck has more body roll than I've ever noticed tho but I've never pushed it as hard as I did yesterday;)

I'm working on making some custom sway bar endlinks now so I can mount my rear bar and square the new front one up.also I picked up a 2006 sohc 4.0 T5 trans that is going be rebuilt to handle the power, just need to figure out all the details as noone I've found has finished the swap:(
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395882

Very Late Reply, very cool on your own company!!!

And WoW, miss a few days and you have the Ranger together! Very inspirational. Really like what you have done. Great Work.
I just run the company don't own it;)
And thanks, its just getting good.the real custom stuff is coming soon, this has just been prep work;)

Well now the trans is stalled out and on the back burner I can get back to work.decided I'm gonna lower the front another 2" so ordering my front sway bar and springs.till then I'm working on making new end links for the front and rear sway bar so they align more square. Also getting a new fuel sender.

Hopefully it all will come in before this weekend so I can knock it out.my birthday is monday (11-11) so going to order my headers, cutouts, mufflers and some pipe to start on building a custom true dual exhaust system next week...

Then I'm DONE and can start sending parts to Manley to have them start machining...engine parts should all be Christmas presents! ! Lol getting real close now, I can smell that RAW OCTANE power smell!! You know what I mean if you have smelt a pre emissions built ass motor!!!;)
:fart:
:burnout:

I really like this thread!

That's all

Lol thanks man.sure wished you lived closer, would love to have all my parts powder coated by you:D

Well got some new parts and still waiting on some.I got the new Viper 5704 remote start alarm with smart start.took me three days to put in and finally relized I had my starter wires backwards:(alarm is awesome! !I need to get some new Ebrake pads and hook up the cables tho, the alarm has to have the Ebrake set and truck in neutral. .

I ordered brand new explorer 1, 250lb leafs for the rear but didn't relize it was per side so only received one side.so waiting for the other side to come in.the leafs I got now are from an explorer that had 233k on it so they have sagged about 1.5" and with a full tank they sag 3 inches.I can't have that because the fender lip is coming down and hitting my tires and I'm getting even wider tires!! Going to try and roll them with a big ass pipe but need better springs....

Also got my belltech sway bar in and this thing is a freaking BEAST!! It weighs 24 lbs and is 1.25" thick.installed it and my rear bar and WOW what a difference! ! With the tires warm this thing corners faster than I really want to push it.the rear I used HEEP end links and mounted it directly to the bottom of the frame.I squared it all up with the rear raised 1.5 inches so when I put my new leafs in it will still be square..bad part is I had to cut my exhaust off for clearance. I put a turn down on right before where the old muffler was.so it just have cats and is LOUD.but ill be starting on the exhaust in a week or so ill live..

Also ordered a new sender.i plugged it in before to test it and it worked all great.then pulled the float and sender off and put it on the old unit.BUT again I'm pretty sure I mounted it upside down AGAIN!! Full is empty and empty is full.ill have to flip it when I do my leafs next weekend.
New front and rear
20131123_144513_zps99b22d84.jpg

New and old front
20131123_173422_zpsd921754a.jpg

20131123_173443_zps233b2cca.jpg

Heep end links, worked perfectly. .(moog k3174)
20131123_161611_zpsc9d268f7.jpg

Well I got the new leaves put on and for some reason they sat a 1.5" lower than the ones I had on there from the junkyard.they had about a inch less arch so knew something was up before I even put them on, once on they settled another half inch.I called rock auto and they called the manufacturer to confirm they were explorer 1, 250 leafs.they were so I pulled them off and sent them back, also sent back the first sender that was wrong.

So I had an extra $350ish cash.I ordered new E-brake shoes and got them all hooked up and they work great.I then ordered belltech lift shackles.I put the junkyard leaves back on with the shackles, lifted the passenger side 1.5" and the drivers side a full 3".this gave me an even (about)4.5 inches of drop in the rear and 3" in the front.its pretty damn level with a SLIGHT rake, fronts fenders are at 28" & rear is 28.5".rides nice and doesn't hit bump stops or the tires!!

Then I had little extra so I bought a cowl hood.going to pait it gun metal like my explorer but doing two racing strips in black, your see where when you look at the picture. Now I'm just waiting on the rest of the exhaust parts, hopefully next week or week after it will be done;)

Pics
Belltech lift brackets.
20131207_133335_zps43c25684.jpg

True scoop;) should give me clearance for the charger...

20131209_151150_zpsa34f8dfb.jpg

20131209_154721_zps2fe8a34c.jpg

20131209_154638_zpsd85b41d0.jpg

Back