• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Jbf333

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi, I'm new to the forums so if this is the incorrect place to post this please move it or tell me.

Anyways, I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD that we just bought. Its seems to run great and looks great. The check engine light is on though. Have any of you experienced this and if so what are some of the problems?

One more question, where could I buy new trim ie: bumps runner boards rear bumper, those kinds of things.

Thanks, Justin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! To get the check engine light read, most parts store will do it for free, and print out an explanation of the codes, or post the codes on here for us to pick over! For the trim parts, either a junk yard, or check out the vendors section on this site, as there are a few OEM parts suppliers.

Welcome to the site. Great choice on the truck (V8).
Drive the truck over to an Autozone or a Pep Boys or something similar. They will read the code for free. Resist the temptation to buy whatever part they say it is, just ask them for the numerical code, write it down, then come back and post it.

To buy new trim try LMCtruck.com

will all of the explorer 1997 parts fit on the mercury mountaineer 1997?

Most, but not all will.
Headlights and grills will not.

Most, but not all will.
Headlights and grills will not.

The headlights are the same on the '97 Mountaineer as 1995-2001 Explorers. It was 1998 that the headlights & grille changed on the Mountaineer.

LMC only sells Explorer specific parts. The '97 Explorer grill will fit but you will lose the distinct look of the Mountaineer grille.

I dont need the grill, just the front bump and matching runner boards, they have rust spots and bad scratches on front bumper, will explorer bumpers and runner boards fit?

Yes they will.

Alright cool. Thanks Guys.

Back