1997 SOHC Exhaust Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 SOHC Exhaust Question

X~Factor, DynoMax and Magnaflow both have one.

DynoMax: 97-00; 4.0L eng. Code "E", SOHC; 4dr. They call it their "Super Turbo Kit". Part# 17346. Only thing I don't like about this is that it has a Y pipe going into a single inlet. If they sell it though I can't see it performing terrible though...

MagnaFlow: A little iffy as it says it's for the OHC. Which I assume means the same as the SOHC. That one is part # 15610...

So, anyone want a Gibson Exhaust? Never used... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just buy the dual in/single out 50 series muffler from Flowmaster and have an exhaust shop bend you pipes custom. They'll bend you whatever size piping you want (i went with 2.5") and it'll all cost a lot less than a cat-back system from anyone.

Also, if you want something really custom you could get the dual in/dual out muffler and have dual exhaust... though thats your choice and i didnt do it because of all the debates on back pressures.

DynoMax and Magnaflow, huh? I gotta check them out see if the price is reasonable enough. Like what sk1er17 said, we might come out cheaper and better if we just buy the Flowmaster (which is the one I like the best) and get it done at the shop.

And just a side note:

I love how my FLO sounds. Its not loud an annoying and it doesnt cut out at any RPMS. Though, when i first got it on i was afraid it had a rice tone to it and almost turned around to get it taken off, but when i got home i got out and had my friend drive it down the street....sounds awesome outside!

- Inside it sounds a little hollow because it resonates a little (very little.. not annoying on highways or anything at ALL!). When the windows are up you cant even hear it. Im going to fix the hollow sound with a little dynomat above the muffler when i get some $$.

I reccomend it 100%- you'll be pleased (especially if you have an intake or make your current intake a larger hole)

Sk1er, when you say muffler you shop do mean like a chain... Midas or someplace like that?? And yeah, I'm leaning toward the Flo myself now. I was really curious as to how the Gibson sounded but they can go screw themselves now. How much total was yours? Where did you get yours done?

I didnt get mine done at a chain.. i got mine done at a self owned shop that i was reccommended to.

I guess a chain place could do it too but they wont do as good of a job.

Mine came to $210 or something total... that was the muffler, they bent my back a 2.5" pipe and positioned it where i wanted it (important if you have a BL... the factory made systems look stupid cause the tailpipe is too low). I didnt buy a tip- a chrome tip woulda been another 20 or 30.. i just painted mine black.. no chrome on my X :cool:

Back