4.0L SOHC Exhaust ? (Yep, another one) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC Exhaust ? (Yep, another one)

capainjoe

Reaction score
City, State
Pompano Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT V6 4.0 SOHC
Hello all,
I want to put Flowmasters on my truck. I've been reading the forums here and really haven't found the answer I was looking for. I've read that duels are better with V8's than with the V6's, but I want to hear from you guys (and girls) personal experiences. Basically, my questions for those with 4.0L SOHC V6 (2000 4 door, XLT) is this:

Is it worth spending the money to put on a duel cat back system; leaving it the way it is but with larger pipes and a new muffler from the cat back; or leaving it the way it is but with larger pipes, a new muffler but have a duel in and duel out setup?

Has anyone with this same truck seen increases in performance at all with any of the setups I mentioned?
Which is better, and most cost effective (I don't want to be spending too much money on duels, if a single would be just as good).
Any other ideas are appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there no one else out there who can help......??

I just got my Flowmaster 50 Series put on my SOHC today. I'm just breaking it in, but it's a nice sound. Really quiet on the inside nice exterior tone, not too loud. X24 put duals on his SOHC and sounds real nice, you could do a search of his name, he posted clips of his exhaust before. You have a 2000 SOHC so you'll want a dual inlet muffler, and you can pick either single or dual outlet, they both run about $90

How do you like it so far? What size pipes did you go up too?

i'd stay single out....
just got a non delta flowmaster 40 put on last week.....i think it sounds great, its just single out and uses stock size piping...if you switch the piping some say you'll gain torque and lose HP in some effect..IMO not worth the money to gain one and lose another.....

i got a 50 series street muffler put on tuesday with 2.5 inch pipes from the cat back. Same experience as EBInterceptor. Quiet inside, nice tone outside. i would recomend this setup to anyone.

it all depends on what your opinion of "LOUD" inside the cab is.

My 40 series non delta, is noticable inside the cab. I am no gonna lie. but do i think its too loud? No,in fact i wish it was a bit louder both in and outside the cab.

its all perspective......

Yep, I have 2.5 single exit with a 50 Series SUV. You can hardly notice it until it reaches about 3000 rpms inside when you're just doing normal driving. I like it even more the day after, nice setup. The only thing I would have changed would be duals, but I don't have the money for it, and I couldn't exactly trust the people who were going to do it. I would definately recommend it if you like the sound but want to keep it low and throaty.

But with the V6, is it worth spending the money on duels? From reading other posts, there is no significant gain putting duels on the V6 (on the V8 yes). This is the primary question I have.

It's more of what kind of look you want. I would have gotten duals if I had more money to throw around. Plus I decided to use the money that I saved on duals to put towards a chip.

i have a 97 x with the 4.0 sohc, and i have true dual 40 series flowmasters on it. cab noise is pretty damn loud, and i think it sounds like an outward motor boat. my friends think the same thing. so i am going to 1 50 series suv flowmaster muffler it will give me the sound i am looking for, if you want loud as hell get two 40s but you might not like it. I'd go w/ the 50's

Back