1997 SOHC Exhaust Question

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
How common is it for the 97 4.0L SOHC to have a dual inlet exhaust? I bought a Gibson CAT System for it and went to install this weekend only to find I had a dual inlet muffler. The only option on the website I bought it from for the 4 liter SOHC was the single inlet. So like a dumb-a** I went by what the site said instead of taking the 2 seconds to look under the truck. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldn't worry, i think any good muffler shop could make a dual inlet into a single inlet

Yeah I was thinking about just putting on a Y pipe and be done with it. But I'm worried the back pressure could be messed up by doing that.

Plus I already have Gobson sending me the correct one. No one I seemed to talk to knew the SOHC of my year X had a dual inlet muffler though and I was pretty suprised by that. I was curious how many others had the same thing or not. And if mine was one of those mid-year X's that Ford decided to play around with.

my 98 sport is dual in single out. I bought a flomaster 50 series for it (they have a dual in/single out) for our X's then had a 2.5" pipe bent for the tailpipe.... all in all it came to $200

Hey Black Magic, maybe I should just run two pipes straight up and out of the hood and be done with it! :D Who needs all that extra crap under the truck anyway! hahaha

Not just common, but a fact. All '97 SOHC Explorers have a dual in / single out muffler.

I also know that '98's do, but do not know about other years.

Hey dmasini, do you have a sport or a 4-dr? Do you have the correct Gibson Catback part number for your '97 SOHC?

Originally posted by Hokie
He's gotta have a 4 Door. Sport SOHC's have no cat back kits available. :(

I thought it was the other way around.

X~Factor, I have a 4 door. The part number they sent me 619684. Of which, if you goto www.ajusa.com click on the Gibson store and then go through all the drop-downs:

Year: 1997
Make: Ford
Model: Explorer
Engine: 4.0L SOHC (also has just 4.0L option but why would I choose that when they had the SOHC??)
Application: 4 DR Single Inlet/Slip Flange (only option)
Drive Train: 2/4WD (again, Only Option)

Comes up with the Rear Single Exhaust (part# 619684) and the stainless version of the same system, both with the single inlet muffler.

They do make a 2 DR version, it's part#19688

The big thing that's pissing me off is Gibson won't take responsibility because they say that I should have gone to just the 4.0L option and not 4.0L SOHC. They are sending me a new one but I have to pay the shipping on the one I'm returning...

That sucks, man! Are you returning the muffler only or the whole cat-back?

So, I gather you do not have the correct part number yet. Please let us know as soon as it arrives. They probably have it written on the invoice.

Thanks, man.

They told me they couldn't take back just the muffler because everything was different. So they are sending me another whole CAT System. Don't see why they couldn't send just the muffler and brackets. It would have cost both of us less money.:rolleyes:

The guy from ajusa.com just emailed me back and said they wouldn't reimburse me for shipping because all of the options were listed on there site "somewhere". Just not under the particular type of engine I have. Load of BS if you ask me. Everyone take note of www.ajusa.com's "customer service" for future reference...

The correct part number for the dual inlet 4dr version should be #19687. I'm trying to get them to confirm this over email though and they have yet to do it. I'll keep you updated.

It would be very useful to know the absolute correct part # as I would have to import the part and I don't fancy paying the return fare!!!!!

I have a 98 SOHC 4 door and it has a twin in single out muffler (silencer).

Well Howard don't go with Gibson. I just talked with Justin at AJ USA. He said they are basically just an intermediary between the customer and Gibson Performance. So he's been having to go back and forth between the both of us. He basically told me that Gibson said I am wrong about my dual input exhaust and their website is correct. He tried getting my tracking number for the new exhaust system they were sending me and they said they wouldn't be able to ship it out to me for another 5 days. This is after they told him yesterday that they were going to ship it today.

So I told him I didn't want another one and I would just ship the wrong system back to Gibson.

It doesn't seem to be AJ USA's fault, they were in fact pretty helpful. Unfortunatly there Gibson store is still misleading. (I wouldn't recommend buying Gibson products from them). Gibson on the other hand needs to learn how to treat there customers a little better.

Looks like I'll be going with Flowmaster after all.:p

I knew this was too good to be true- a cat back for 95-97 SOHC 4-dr does not exist. :(

Howard, I'm gonna look around tonight. I'll keep you posted.

X~Factor, Gibson does make one. It's part #19687. Goto www.ajusa.com and click on the Gibson Store, then put in the year make and model. Instead of putting the 4.0L SOHC as your motor just put in 4.0L. It's in their and it's supposed to work for the SOHC (from what AJ USA says). Now whether I trust them 100% after this I don't know.

So are you saying Flowmaster doesn't make one for the SOHC?

Thanks. Over here I can only find a custom made one in stainless for £650 ($950) and I'm sure I can do a lot better than that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by dmasini
Gibson does make one. It's part #19687. Goto www.ajusa.com and click on the Gibson Store, then put in the year make and model. Instead of putting the 4.0L SOHC as your motor just put in 4.0L. It's in their and it's supposed to work for the SOHC (from what AJ USA says). Now whether I trust them 100% after this I don't know.

So are you saying Flowmaster doesn't make one for the SOHC?

After what you went through, I wouldn't trust them either. Flowmaster cat-back for 95-97 SOHC? Well, I doubt anyone carries them. If they do come out with one, I am sure it'll cost so much it isn't worth it especially if a muffler shop can make a custom exhaust for you under $200.

Back