1998 4.0L Explorer wont start when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0L Explorer wont start when hot

y87fcar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Car is currently stuck at a bank a few miles away. This is the second time in 2 days its done this. The car starts fine, and waits for me to shut it off... when i do, it will NOT restart, just cranks and cranks. I can smell gas so i dont think its a fuel pump. I have checked and swapped the fuel pump relay, fuses, etc. Trying to get it fired up before the bank towes is, if they do that i cant afford to get the truck back with the fees. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Ive also tried another known good key to see if the key was causing a problem. What a day

Last time it magically started up about an hour later as if there were no issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

even though once it cools, it fires up and runs perfectly?

Any ideas?

I was able to push it with a friend so in theory it shouldnt be towed, but id still like to get it back to the house to troubleshoot it. Can a dirty fuel filter do this or is this beyond that... ie fuel pump

get some quick start and spray it into the intake. Then if there is any semblance of a start, then you can likely focus on fuel delivery as being the central issue. IF no fire, then you likely have electrical / timing issues which take you a different direction.

my 96 xlt had the same problem,I think I had some air trapped in the cooling system,have you done cooling system maintenance recently?I got a new radiator cap,thermostat and did cooling system flush.And I think I had trapped air bubbles in the thermostat housing (which is a legit issue from ford)causing intermittent heat ups.After it would warm up I would turn the rad cap half turn to release pressure into overflow(be very careful doing this)and repeatedly squeeze the upper rad hose.Until I figured this out I carried 5 one gallon jugs with water and when it would stall I would pop hood and dump 2 gallons on fuel rail and fuel pressure module,get in quick and drive away.It's basically vapor locking even though some people will say it can't happen cause of it being fuel injected,but this was advice from a old time car/race car driver.Also your fuel pressure module could have a small hole in the diagram,got to read up on checking fuel pressure though,the module is 80.00 at autozone.

+1 for what budwich said; will help you to troubleshoot issue.

Check the engine temp sensor that feeds the PCM (not the one that works the gauge). Think the one you want has two wires. If defective, computer will think engine is cold when it's not and dump in too much fuel.

i used to have that problem when it was hot and i figured out that on the fuel rail where you test your fuel pressure if i pushed the valve stem in and released the pressure would start up and run fine sometimes it would start with no problem so i ran it like that for a couple of years until i got a different expo. yea it sucks because if that is your problem then gas will likely spray all over you but it was an easy (and sometimes kinda longterm 2 or 3 weeks sometimes) fix.

Car is currently stuck at a bank a few miles away. This is the second time in 2 days its done this. The car starts fine, and waits for me to shut it off... when i do, it will NOT restart, just cranks and cranks. I can smell gas so i dont think its a fuel pump. I have checked and swapped the fuel pump relay, fuses, etc. Trying to get it fired up before the bank towes is, if they do that i cant afford to get the truck back with the fees. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Ive also tried another known good key to see if the key was causing a problem. What a day

Last time it magically started up about an hour later as if there were no issues

What about the PCM relay? Do you see the check engine light prove out when you first turn the key?

Also, what about the idle air control valve? What happens if you press the gas pedal when you start?

Selling vehicle any offers

I checked for fuel pressure near the engine oil cap. Zero so it's got to be the fuel pump. I do not have the money to fix it. We purchased it new from sheehy ford in sprinfield va. I have all maintenance records from when it was new to now.. I even have the original window sticker. The exterior is in excellent condition. If anyone is interested I have tons of pics and am open to offers. It's the 4.0 liter v6.. 110000 miles mobil 1 since it was new. Just passes safety and emissions

any questions call 7034071429 names Jeff

Not sure if you have fixed it yet or not but. My truck did this also. I have found out this is due to vapor lock on the 4.0l. The fuel rail is bolted between the upper and lower intake manifold where it gets real hot when running and when you shut it off and run into the store this heats boils the fuel in the line. I could pour a little water on the fuel rail and the pressure regulator and it would fire right up everytime. The Fuel regulator might be a bit old as was mine. So I replaced the relay and the regulator. Which helped alot but it still gets a little cranky when hot, but the sprinkling water on the fuel rail cures it.

I'm probably going to replace the rubber fuel line in the tank on the pressure side of the pump. It can leak fuel pressure because ethanol in fuel now, eats at it.

+1 for what budwich said; will help you to troubleshoot issue.

Check the engine temp sensor that feeds the PCM (not the one that works the gauge). Think the one you want has two wires. If defective, computer will think engine is cold when it's not and dump in too much fuel.
Thats what I was told might be my problem. My problem is in the morning it starts right up but after turning it off for 10-15 minutes it won't start on the first try but will start always on the second try. Other than that the truck runs great. That temp sensing unit pop up too many times , I will let y'all know when I replace it.

Back