1996 Explorer Wont Start when Warmed up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Wont Start when Warmed up.

bhedgepeth28

Reaction score
City, State
Christiansburg,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer v6 4.0 4WD
I have a 1996 V6 explorer 4wd. When I start it after its been sitting awhile everything is perfectly fine. Once I have driven a while and gotten the engine warm if i shut the engine off and wait about 5min and try to restart the truck it wont start. It actually floods itself. You can smell the fuel. Also when I am driving down the road if I roll my windows down I can smell fuel pretty good. I have Checked the fuel pressure regulator and its fine, I checked the ignition Coil its fine. The pump works or it wouldn't be flooding itself right? Please someone help me here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the coolant temperature sensor and its connections. It may be reading cold (or even arctic cold, if the sensor wire is grounded somewhere), which tells the computer to enrich the mixture.

I have a 1996 V6 explorer 4wd. When I start it after its been sitting awhile everything is perfectly fine. Once I have driven a while and gotten the engine warm if i shut the engine off and wait about 5min and try to restart the truck it wont start. It actually floods itself. You can smell the fuel. Also when I am driving down the road if I roll my windows down I can smell fuel pretty good. I have Checked the fuel pressure regulator and its fine, I checked the ignition Coil its fine. The pump works or it wouldn't be flooding itself right? Please someone help me here.

I forgot to mention the coolant sensor. Thats already been replaced too.

Make sure you replaced the correct coolant temp sensor. There are two right next to each other - one does the gauge and the other the PCM. Good luck.

In addition to that: make sure that the sensor connections are intact all the way to the PCM connector. An open connection will cause the PCM to read cold (I apologize for a previous error saying that a short to ground will cause this; in fact, a short to ground will cause reading hot). If your X is a late '96, it may have OBDII, so you can use a scanner. Otherwise measuring resistance across the appropriate PCM connector pins is the sure-fire way. On my '98 these are #36 and #91 ; yours may be different - consult the appropriate schematic.
Good luck!

Make sure you replaced the correct coolant temp sensor. There are two right next to each other - one does the gauge and the other the PCM. Good luck.

Back