• Register Today It's free!

1998 Eddie Bauer power ant. help

baron4406

Reaction score
City, State
Alburtis,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EddieBauer
Today's goal with my newly purchased Explorer is swapping out my no-display stock radio with an Alpine CDA- 9830 I had laying around. Everything went ok, I even wired up the factory sub to the Alpine's sub output using the tips on this site. Works awesome tho I do get a pop on startup, would a ziener diode help to knock it down to the recommended 5v output? On to my question, been doing searches and can't find the help I need. I know the power antenna is hard to control with aftermarket HU's, however is their any way to just send a signal to force the antenna up and stay up short of swapping in a non-powered antenna? I really can't find the antenna power wire, I've read its the orange/blue wire but there is no orange blue wire on the main harness. There is one on the second bigger harness and throwing my Alpine's power antennae control to it does nothing. I just want better reception and don't really care if the antenna goes up and down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well looking at them it appears there isn't even a connection for the power antenna when you have the Mach sound system. Oh well I'll probably just rip out the powered antenna and put in a fixed one seems the easiest thing to do.

All you need to do is connect the same wire from the HU that you use to turn on the amp, You can use a Zener but it's best to use a voltage regulator http://www.radioshack.com/productId=2062599 I believe the ant needs 12v, so tie it in before the regulator. BTW most 12v+ ant relay wires are blue on aftermarket HU's

All you need to do is connect the same wire from the HU that you use to turn on the amp, You can use a Zener but it's best to use a voltage regulator http://www.radioshack.com/productId=2062599 I believe the ant needs 12v, so tie it in before the regulator. BTW most 12v+ ant relay wires are blue on aftermarket HU's

Yes the Ant. wire on my Alpine is blue, but i have idea what to hook it to on my adapter harness. There isn't even an amp turn on on the factory harness (its on the smaller 8 pin harness, and I have that wired to 12v power like it says to in the stickies)

That voltage regulator is a good idea, but its an IC. I could make it work tho. Thanks for your help Fixxer.

If you use a zener diode to cut the 12 v, keep in mind that the voltage drop across the zener is going to be a lot greater than using the voltage regulator and you can add a heat sink to the to-220 case of the regulator ic

Ok thanks fixxer.

Anyone have any idea how to solve my antenna problem?

BTW went to Radio shack and got a 5v voltage regulator and spliced it in to my power wire..........it still pops on startup. So that didn't work I'm gonna try a 4.7k ohm resistor next.

*edit* Tried that, the thing STILL pops when you turn it on. Guess I'll live with it.

Back