1998 Exp start issues.

j.1life.1chance

Reaction score
City, State
Pascagoula, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 2dr
Hey,

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 door (2 wheel driver, 4.0) that fails to start.

When I first bought the car, the only way I could start was to hit the unlock button on the fob, then start - it will not just start with the dealers key. Upon inspection of the key, there are noticeable cracks at the base, and I'm assuming water has gotten into the security chip and rendered the chip incapable of disabling the theft system.

Two months ago the fob got wet and now does not unlock the truck, but I still have to press the unlock button to start the vehicle.

A couple days ago, clicking the unlock button no longer lets me start the explorer. I assumed the fob finally went out, and that the key was the original issue, so I bought new keys and am waiting for them to be programed to the explorer (I only got one key from the dealership, and that is the assumed broken one, AND I can not reprogram a new fob if the keys are broken)

But in the event that the keys are not the issue, what do y'all think could be an alternative? The battery is good, no known issues (except for stupid O2 sensors), and before the fob got wet, the theft system worked perfectly.

One thing I did notice and really the reason I'm posting is that when I insert the new keys (unprogrammed) the theft light blinks rapidly, and refuses to start the car, which is expected. But when I insert the old key, the theft light blinks slowly, then disappears. But the car still refuses to start.

Any ideas?

Jeremiah

Back