1998 Explorer both doors are locked and wont open... Need Help!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer both doors are locked and wont open... Need Help!!!!

HOUSER31

Reaction score
City, State
modesto,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Started about a week ago... drivers side door is locked and wont open... the latch just wont work.... the unlock button works and all but the door wont come undone.... tore into the the door panel and played with the mechanism but door is jammed... everytime i hit the unlock it makes the unlock sound and then click back locked... now the passenger side is doing the same thing.... anybody have any ideas????

I had similar problem, ended up being the actuator in 1 door, but it was screwing up all 4! Check the actuators, the linkage, and make sure the rivets that hold them in are good. That's why mine failed. It was flopping around inside the door because the rivet was loose and the added stress caused it to fail.

Sounds like the return spring in the door latch. You said you have the door interior panel off. Pull the rod that goes to the outside handle up as far as you can and unlock with the door switch or remote. Then open the door. If this works you need new door latch assemblies or jury rig a spring to hold the outside handle rod up.

Hope this works for you.

Back