1998 Explorer Can't Decide Rim Tire Size To Go With | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Can't Decide Rim Tire Size To Go With

What came stock is 225 70 15
What is on there is 235 75 15, 4 ply I think (30%-40% remaining)
I hear 255 70 16 from 3rd gen Explorer will bolt straight on
Friend recommends 235 85 16

I want to keep the cost down but will change to 16s if the price is good.

We are driving up and down a jagged rock mountain road. The front tire on there lasted going up once, and it now has a triple plug in it while I find some better tires. The jagged rock on this road is noted for puncturing tires.

The young guy at the tire store figured I should have 8 or 10 ply with an aggressive tread. He recommended Good Year Wrangler Territory 235 75R15. The ride is already kind of rough on the street,will these 8 or 10 ply tires be overkill; will 6 ply be enough? :dunno:

If I find a good price on some of the stock size 225 70R15 I would go that way too just out of pure economics.

If I find some 255 70R16s with rims, how many plies do they need to be? :dunno:

I just noticed that my Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 long box has 235 85 16, 7 ply Michellin, on it (stock wheels I think). THEY WEIGH A TON! I realize the rims are steel 8 bolt HD stuff but that aside, is that size of tire/wheel too big for my 98 Explorer without a lift kit? :dunno:

I don't know which way to go. I have to get it back on the road as it is a main part of our transportation right now. :dunno:

I'm quite happy with it. I use it with a $300 Program that can monitor everything. Gives you gauges for read outs, can monitor literally everything from your speed and RPM, to whether you're currently pressing the drivers side window button. It's an awesome little/cheap tool.

I was thinking about getting a bluetooth one to work with my Android phone.

Very interesting! I don't know yet of all the features on the 9580A yet but it has temp and rpm etc. I am set to go now for many years on nearly any vehicle on the market. I don't have an android.

Back