1998 Explorer Sport, V-6, AWD selectable auto trans problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Sport, V-6, AWD selectable auto trans problem.

MServizzi02

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Posting this for my dad as he is not very good with the forums and everything. As the thread title states I have a 1998 Explorer Sport 2DR, V-6, AWD selectable, and auto trans with about 100,000 miles. Have owned it for a year and have had a couple problems. I have 2 completely different problems but figured I'd post in the Transmission forum since it is the major of the 2 issues. Hoping that someone can also give me an idea on my other problem. My dad is pretty good with cars and everything but was wanting to get an idea of what is wrong before he digs in or decides to send it to the Ford dealer as money is kind of tight.

1- No 1st gear, Put it in 1st and nothing happens, start off in 2nd and as soon as you’re over 20 mph you can put it into drive and it’ll shift normally into 3rd and OD as you accelerate or slow down and works normal until you slow down enough to shift into 1st and then you quit moving.

2- Every now an then it’ll start but then dies as soon as you let go of the key unless you keep the rpm’s around 1000. It runs smooth and will drive no problem, it just dies if the rpm’s drop below 1000. This happens randomly, regardless of weather or other conditions. It may happen 2 or 3 days in a row or it may happen one time over a 3 or 4 week period. It just happened yesterday and the last time it did this was back in early Sept.

Hopefully someone has some idea of what is wrong so we can get this fixed as soon as possible. Thanks everyone! :)

hello,
i have a 3rd gen so it not even close to being the same trans put a place to start . . .
i'd drop the pan and change the filter and fluid - AND look for chunks of metal. Fuzz maybe ok, but big ones, no. If you find stuff then my guess a rebuild is in order.
Nothing in the pan maybe the filter and fluid will help.

But it sounds like something is 'gone'. . . .hopefully someone will know more about what you got, if not start searching and reading. . . if you havn't done so.

1998 explorer 4x4

was not sure where to post this but im having trouble getting my 98 to go in to 4x4 when i put the suv off the ground all for wheels turn but when i drive and try i get nothing and was just wondering if some one could help me out its was at one point flashing the 4x4hi and 4x4lo on the dash but i got that fixed not sure where to start to troubleshoot thanx

Back