V-6 to Small Block Trans Adapter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V-6 to Small Block Trans Adapter

The picture above has 2 different types of spacers with 6 bolts. Is there another one for the post 97 models with 8 bolts? By the way, regarding those 2 spacers, what applications are those 2 for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The two round spacers shown are both used for the conversion. They are for the 2.8, 2.9, or 4.0. The one on the right bolts directly to the crank with the allen head bolts. The one on the left then goes over the first one, followed by the full size (300) flywheel. I needed to make it two pieces to gain room for the pilot of the larger transmissions.

If I change the inner pattern on the spacer on the right to the 8 bolt pattern, it should work for the newer 4.0s. But untill I have a chance to measure one, I don't know the pattern or the thread size. I would also like to measure the depth from the block, just to be sure it is the same as the older engines.

One thing that came to my mind was that the driveshaft length will be different, since the new transmission is a different length, and the spacer will also move it further out. How thick is the main bell housing spacer?

The main spacer is 3/4" thick.

Driveshaft length will depend on several factors.

What trans is used, which adapter/output it has (long or short), and what t-case is used.

I had measured a couple combinations a while back, but I can't seem to find my notes on that right now.

As I recall, a C6 with the 208 (short) output and a 205 case came out within an inch or so of the A4LD/1354 combo. I'll have to hunt for those notes.

will this work on my 98 ford explorer xlt? i'm tired of my transmission giving me problems. how much is the total cost?

So far I still dont have my hands on a 8 bolt crank motor to work from. If someone could send me the flexplate/flywheel spacer and a mounting bolt from a 8 bolt crank 4.0 I am sure I can make it work for that application.

Cost is $475 US shipped to the lower 48. That gets you the adapter kit. You need to supply the transmission, flexplate/flywheel, and starter. You can look here http://www.4-x-fab.com/Transmission_adapters.php for more details.

the bolt pattern on the crank should be the same as a SOHC 4.0L as well.
Ford switched the OHV later on, I suspect to use the same flywheel, starter, etc as the SOHC
I just installed a 97 OHV in a 95, I would have measured....oops

I've got a 99 explorer, 4.0 ohv, auto, and I will definitely buy one of those stubler kits if it will work on my truck. will it, and will it follow the install instructions for the ranger on your site?

What would be good potential tranny/tcase combos for an explorer. I'm getting up there at 130k on the stocker and I know its days are numbered, although its not showing it yet.

EMG, I always say the C6 is fords best trans, but some seem concerned about the power it takes to run it. I feel a AOD would be a good compromise between strength and power loss, plus you get OD as well. Either one will work with a 205, 208 or 1356 case among others. 205 being the stongest, 1356 having the best low range. If you want a manual you cant beat the 435 for strength, but the late 80s 5 speeds would be a good choice as well.

Yeeehaw, if you have a 1350 or a 1354 case the stubler will work for you. Unfortunatly, I dont have any left at the moment. I need a few more "for sure" orders to make my next batch.

I DO have a few trans adapter kits in the works right now and if my lazer cutter would get his ducks in a row I should have some on the shelf and ready to go soon. ;)

c6, with an np205(married). I think basically any 4wd c6 will bolt up to any ford tcase because the bolt pattern is the same?

It needs to go into a 94 explorer sport

i know the trans fits fine, what about the np205 though?

IIRC rbv frames are about the same width at the t-case area for that year

Any clocking or notching needed? If so how much?

making these to fit the 99's yet?? My 5r55e just took a dump :rolleyes:

I think this will fit your explorer. Email the guy and ask.

Back