1998 Explorer Transmission into 1995? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Transmission into 1995?

HotRodBAMF

Reaction score
City, State
Carolina Beach, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hi! I'm new to the forum! I do have a real serious question for ya'll though. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer 2wd with a blown tranny. It has the 4.0 V6 in it. I THINK the transmissions Ford put in them was the 4R55E. I have found a good deal on a tranny out of a 98 Explorer 2wd with the 4.0, but am unsure if it's the same tranny model and/or if it'll work (bolt up). Would someone please tell me if this swap will work and if the computer will allow it. THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tranny you want to buy, does it have the OHV or the SOHC? If it has the SOHC then it has the 5R55E, if its the OHV then it has the 4R55E

The tranny I'm thinking of buying is from a SOHC V6. So it's the 5r55e. Will it replace the one that's in my truck just fine or will i have to change things like the computer tune, driveshaft, ect, for it to work. or will it just not work at all?

I'm not completely sure, but i think you may have to update the computer and change everything. Besides that, I think that would be more work than whats its worth, expecialy having the 5R55E because those trannys dont hold up good at all. If you were to do all the work, it would be much better to get a 4R70W, altough im not sure if it will bolt up. Hopefully someone else will come in and have more knowledge on these trannys then I do.

Or you could just find a 4R55E somewhere...Easier said then done i guess. Atleast where I live there isnt any of those around.

Any trans guys want to get in on this? I have been curious myself. I know the bell housing has an extra hole for the sohc but the rest of the case is the same. there is an output shaft sensor that wouldn't be needed. The plug is the same, but is is wired different? Is the 5r just a 4r with extra controls to lock the od with first?

Yeah, thanks for the support man. I'll wait and see if anyone else might know though. Thanks for the help!

Also, ask this guy, Ped5Stang, he has some explorers that he is selling the parts off of. I bought a front driveshaft from him before. either post on his thread or email him at: ped5stang@aol.com

Back