will a 1998 5.0 AWD explorer transmission interchange with 1997 5.0 AWD explorer trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will a 1998 5.0 AWD explorer transmission interchange with 1997 5.0 AWD explorer trans?

Foxandexploder

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer eddie bauer
I recently took on the task of replacing the transmission in my 1998 5.0 AWD ford explorer eddie bauer. I have a 1997-1/2 5.0 AWD parts Explorer. After removing both of the transmissions I noticed that the transmissions had separately colored plugs on the passenger side of the transmission (one black, one white.) So the real question is will the 1997 transmission work? If not what can I do to make it work? Thanks in advance.

I think i found the solution after searching. I'm going to try rewiring the harness using this threads information:

5.0 Explorer trans problem after swap.

using a 98 motor, 98 engine harness, 97.5 trans 98 trans harness (swapping the problem connector for the 97 connector) 98 Tcase and 98 PCM.
I'll update when the the transmission is reinstalled.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

97 4r70w uses analog DTRS
Also the wiring for the internal solenoids is different
The 97 may also have a speed sensor in the tailhousing if we are talking RWD trucks (if AWD the speed sensor is in the AWD t case)

The 98 uses a digital DTRS
The wiring to the internal solenoids has 2 less wires
The 98 does not have a VSS sensor in the tailhousing

So to put a 97 trans in a 98 I would:
Drop the pan on the 97 transmission. Remove the big white through plug on the pass side of the trans case. remove internal wiring (soft wires) and solenoids
Install the white/black plug from the 98 transmission into your 97 case, along with the internal wiring harness (hard plastic bit) and 98+ style solenoids
Remove the 97 DTRS (digital transmission range sensor ie neutral safety switch) and install the 98 DTRS

Ignore the 97 VSS speed sensor if these are RWD trucks, the 98 does not need a tail housing mounted VSS.

Everything else is the same or similar enough to make it bolt in

Any questions? Just ask!

Back