• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer. V6 to V8 swap.

ronnieg315

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 merc mounty AWD 5.0
my wifey rolled her 1998 5.0 AWD explorer (and drove it out of the 4-5 foot ditch). Now im lookin for another one to swap the CANADIAN built 5.0 drivetrain into. I've found quite a few of v6's. How much BS is it to swap out the v6 to v8 with a complete donor v8 truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

you need to switch the motor , trans, t case and wiring harness from the v8 to the v6, as they are different,,
might be better to look on craigslist for another v8,

since you have everything, its just all harnesses eng/trans, pcm and eng/trans/tcase drive shafts.

and the assorted goodies to go with it.

Welcome, and it's no trouble at all when you have the complete donor vehicle. Tons of people have done it. Regards,

With 2 complete Explorers side by side in the driveway, and you have all the right tools (air tools, socekts, wrenches, screw drivers, and ratchet extensions) the swap can be done in a day....

It goes a bit faster if you CAREFULLY cut the radiator support out of the wrecked vehicle, and get it out of the way.

Ryan

Is this swap a direct bolt in? Do both of the motors mount to the frame the same?

I have read about doing engine swaps on Jeeps and other vehicles, and usually you have to get some conversion brackets and mounts to do it.

I would be very impressed with Ford engineering if they made these vehicles able to do direct built in swaps

Yes. It is a DIRECT BOLT IN, using all Ford Parts....the frame pads are the same.

Ryan

The beauty of this swap is you can nab some nice cash for the v6 drivetrain (especially if its an SOHC).

what about in a sport what drive shafts would u use

That what I thought did know if there was a easy way only other thing I'm wondered about was the 4x4 switch and transmission harness would u want to change the4x4 switch 5.0 into the 4.0 body

That what I thought did know if there was a easy way only other thing I'm wondered about was the 4x4 switch and transmission harness would u want to change the4x4 switch 5.0 into the 4.0 body

there is no switches for the AWD system that bolts onto the 5.0. It's a VC Style transfer case.

I am in the process of looking into swapping the engine in my 98 SOHC out from a possible donor vehcile that is a 96 V8. My current explorer is AWD as well as 4WD and the donor vehicles is only 2wd. Is the transfer case interchangeable with the V8 tranny?

My current explorer is AWD as well as 4WD and the donor vehicles is only 2wd. Is the transfer case interchangeable with the V8 tranny?

???? are you trying to ask if you put a transfer case behind a 4wd trans? you can always just convert yours to a 2wd if thats what the donor is. also you may have other possible problems with going to a different year donor. the donor wont have pats, your 98 dose. your donor is a internal EGR system, your 98 is external (i am not sure if that will make a difference).

I am in the process of looking into swapping the engine in my 98 SOHC out from a possible donor vehcile that is a 96 V8. My current explorer is AWD as well as 4WD and the donor vehicles is only 2wd. Is the transfer case interchangeable with the V8 tranny?

No it's not the v8 t case uses a different bolt pattern than the v6 t case. But one for the v8 can be had easley and the front axle will swap.

I have a 98 explorer sport and did the v8 swap. You need to use the tranny harness from the v8 and I had to get the sport front drive shaft shortened just a bit. The rear was just fine. Also when doing it get the anti-theft module and wand all with the ignition cylinder from the v8 donor. Since you will have it there it will be a breeze. I didn't have a donor just the engine so mine was a pain in the ass.

Back