1998 Ford Explorer Manual Trans: Bleeding Master & Slave | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer Manual Trans: Bleeding Master & Slave

1976pianoman

Reaction score
City, State
Northridge, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp Sport V6 5spd
Hello,

This Explorer will not shift into gear while the engine is on. The clutch is less than three years old. I visually checked the slave cylinder through the rubber plug in the bellhousing and it is dry, therefore I'm assuming it's okay. The master cylinder fluid reservoir was empty. I believe I have air somewhere in the hydraulic line and intend on bleeding the master and slave cylinders. I have never done this before. Everything I know about the hydraulic systems in this truck I learned online over the last 48 hours.

Do I really need to remove the entire master slave assembly and gravity bleed it, or can I use a pump or plastic syringe? If I use a syringe @ the master cylinder reservoir, do I push fluid through or suck air out, then push fluid through? I assume when I do this the bleed valve on the transmission needs to be open? Is it normal for this slave bleed valve to be loose? I don't mean that it's unscrewed/open, rather, the entire valve is not snug - I can move it around like a joystick.

If I do have to remove the master cylinder assembly for a gravity bleed, how to I go about bleeding the slave cylinder once I have bled the master cylinder?

Thank you for the help.

If the master cylinder reservoir was dry, the fluid went somewhere

I have an easy way to bleed your master cylinder without removing it from the truck
You will still need to bleed the slave cylinder a little bit

Then once the system is full and bled start looking for your leak, it is most likely still coming from the internal slave cylinder. The parts store slave cylinders are not very good you are very lucky to get 3 years out of one of those (power torque, duralast brand and the like)

I have two videos for you to watch, first one explains in great detail the system you are working with
The second shows you how to bleed the master in less then 5 minutes
Forget all that stuff you said up there and watch these:

If the master cylinder reservoir was dry, the fluid went somewhere

I have an easy way to bleed your master cylinder without removing it from the truck
You will still need to bleed the slave cylinder a little bit

Then once the system is full and bled start looking for your leak, it is most likely still coming from the internal slave cylinder. The parts store slave cylinders are not very good you are very lucky to get 3 years out of one of those (power torque, duralast brand and the like)

I have two videos for you to watch, first one explains in great detail the system you are working with
The second shows you how to bleed the master in less then 5 minutes
Forget all that stuff you said up there and watch these:

Thank you very much!!

Back