• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer Timing chain

jabramson

Reaction score
City, State
Coconut Creek, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
My truck lead a revolt against me on Monday as it wouldn't start without shaking the engine. I towed it to my mechanic and it was as bad as I thought. The left side chain is gone.

He told me to get it fixed it will cost at least $1500 and he can't tell if there might be issues that will require the other chains to be replaced or if there might be an issue with the valves because of the chain loss.

I just put new tires on it about 4 months ago and filled up the gas tank over the weekend.

Since I can't fix it myself, is it worth to part it out or sell it whole. Would I get anywhere near $1500 for it in its current condition. It is an automatic with SOHC, leather seats and in descent condition as far as the paint and everything else. There is 145,000 miles on it.

Before the timing chain gave up the ghost, it ran very well.

Any suggestions besides by the parts and fix it myself? I can do basic mechanic work but I don't feel comfortable tearing the engine down.

Thanks

-Jonathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sell it, hopefully you could get $500-$1000 for it.

...or buy a junkyard engine.

just buy a salvage yard engine to put in it for a few hundred bucks.

I wish I could but I don't have the expertise or time to do that and it will be an expensive from a labor side to get it installed.

Unfortunately, I think this one is a gone prospect for me. I will put it on my local Craigs list and see if there is any willing buyers who might be able to do the engine work.

If anyone wants to look at the ad, it is here:
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/834954795.html

-Jonathan

I thought the mechanic said it's going to cost at least $1500 to repair (and there might even be more once he opens it up)

In your CL ad you say it costs $1000 to repair. :roll:

Oops. I didn't type that to mislead on purpose. I think I was thinking at the time that a person could fix it themselves for less than $1000.

I edited it to clear it up and add that the parts for the timing chain kit which includes the front chains, guides and other parts for less than $350.

Unfortunately I don't have the time, tools and comfort level to do it myself. I hope someone else might be interested in doing it and get it back on the road. It was a good functioning truck before the timing chain went.

By the way, is there a possibility when a timing chain goes that you can bend a valve on these engines?

Back