• Register Today It's free!

1998 V8 starting problem

idoticsoigpa

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
OK it is a little starting problem, but it might change into a big starting problem. This is on a 1998 V8 AWD EB. On December 3, I turned the key to start it (warm engine), and cranked engine for about 5 seconds without starting. It has never acted like this before. I don't remember if I just released the key or turned it back to the off position, but it started right up on second try. On December 23, it did the same thing, again with a warm engine, but this time I cranked it for about 10 seconds to see if it would start. No start. I then turned the key to the off position and tried again and it started right up. Check engine light is not on. Does anyone know what this might be? Thanks.

i think i'd start by checking the fuel pressure. could be a fuel pump relay or maybe the fuel pump is on its way out. you can also try swapping the fuel pump relay with one of the other similar relays to see it it makes a difference.

fuel pump

My 99 V8 has started to require a bit of an extended crank to start as well, seems to be only sometimes and it starts smoothly and idles normally once it catches it just seems to crank for awhile long, 5 seconds worth where normally it'll catch in 1-2 seconds.

At first i thought fuel pump maybe check valve letting pressure bleed off but it happens even when somewhat warm so I kinda ruled that out. I have not check fuel pressure but do have means too. Mine cranks this long many starts now~em~days.

225k miles and a trans line has sprung a bit of a leak, Hope to fix that Tuesday and maybe throw a fuel pressure tester on it.

Back