Starting problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting problem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I have a '99 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine. About 6 months ago I had a starting problem where the engine would just turn over and not quite start. Did some research on here and found that there was a history of problems with the fuel regulator. I tried turning the key to the on position and off twice before cranking and getting more pressure built up and this fixed the problem. Then the problem went away and everything was normal. Now all of a sudden this morning the engine cranks normal and starts for a few seconds but won't idle and quits. Stepping on the pedal will not keep it running. I know my fuel pump is running prior to crank. I'm guessing the fuel regulator has failed completely? Have I missed something? I hate to replace stuff needlessly. I don't have a fuel pressure tool set but could purchase one. I've posted this in hopes someone else had the same problem and would post their fixes. Thanks much.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums!

Watch videos 9 and 20 in my signature. Could be a clogged fuel filter or the fuel inertia switch.

Can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you flip the key to the "on" not start position?

Yes, I know my pump is cycling on. I will check the filter and fuel pressure. I've been doing some research on this site. Sounds like a common problem. Thx.

Sorry somehow missed you saying that.

Update us and let us know what you find out.

pull your plugs and see if they are wet. That will tell you more about the direction you need to go in to solve your problem.

Check for a vacuum leak. That will give you the symptoms you are descrbiing.

Back