1998 Washer fluid problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Washer fluid problem

Heading past you on the Trans Canadian hwy 11. I believe there is a tourist stop right on the corner. Could meet there. Transfer Case maybe a bit much at the wreckers is a little unsafe going under the vehicles usually stacked 3 high. But I could see if they have one out and check on the cost for you. Getting the switch off the dash is no problem, if that is what you are looking for.

Checked their webpage a transfer case already out is $150.00 to 212.00. How much you looking on spending? Also I do not know if this is a good or bad price for a used case. What is a reasonable price for a used case?

If you want the switch it works, I paid $17.00 that is all I would want is what I paid for it. Hope talking about cost is okay and not against the rules on this forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no no..the 4x4 relay and switch... the relay would be under the dash.

cost is nothing, I just didnt want to pay like $150 for a new one

Hey skoal_mint is this what you are looking for?
Also any one know what the last item is?

link dead

Since you have tried it all, having a similar problem. Can you tell me where the relay for the washer pump is located /

Check the relay box right next to the air filter. Can not remember the number of the relay but all I did was grab a couple of relays from the scrap yard and replaced one at a time until it worked. It is a little hard to find the relay box, also not on any diagrams.

when you say bypass everything and sprays, how are you making the connection to get the pump to work ?

Directly hooking the pump up to 12v. Just take two pieces of wire attach to one end to the battery the other end to the pump leads. If you are having troubles attaching to the pump just go to the scrap yard, remove the plug from the same pump and cut it off. Remember to cut the wire as far from the plug as possible to make your life easy. Then attach the two piece of wire to the new plug, and plug the pump in. Then apply 12v. If pump works , it is either your relays (2 of them) or your multi-switch.

If your scrap yard has reasonable prices I would grab all the relays in each of the boxes, and a multi-switch while you are there. The place I go relays are usually free and a multi-switch is about $8.00 - $13.00

Hope this helps

Once again this site has saved me a ton of time, swapped the relay like mentioned above and the front washers worked so it was just a matter of getting another relay from a donor vehicle out back and I'm up and running with washers for this winter.

Thank you all.

Back