1999 Explorer AWD? with leaky front Diff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer AWD? with leaky front Diff

Gelpack

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello just bought my truck, and on trip, 1500 kilometers away from home. The front diff is leaking oil from around yoke seal and smelling up everything. Can I remove front drive-shaft and somehow unplug electrical to stop front end from engaging on hi-way in extreme snowy conditions? And stop pinion use? Can I seal the leak externally? Or just fill the Diff and drive back. HELP! Can not find a Haynes repair manual. Sounds like t/c is going, bang in rear on start off. $@#^ ME!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably one of the seals where the axle shafts go in. You can't "unplug" an AWD. Are the tires all the same size?

I wouldn't be driving it 900 miles with that problem. At the very least fill the front diff back up. How bad is it pouring out?

AWD is always engaged. Removing the front driveshaft will damage the central differential (some call it Transfer Case, but that's for 4x4).
Check the tire sizes - as indicated in the manual, they have to be identical, inflated at the same pressure. Fill back the differential is not that hard...

Also, bang in rear is not the CD/TC, is the rear shaft's slip yoke.

leak is coming from seal behind yoke on diff. connecting driveshaft to t/c or central Diff. The tires are all the same size and tread depth. I will attach the shaft and fill diff and head home. don't have time or tools for crush seals etc. to repair. wish me luck.
Thank you

leak is coming from seal behind yoke on diff. connecting driveshaft to t/c or central Diff. The tires are all the same size and tread depth. I will attach the shaft and fill diff and head home. don't have time or tools for crush seals etc. to repair. wish me luck.
Thank you

I have no manuals for it. The 4x4 switch says; Auto, 4x4H, 4x4L, does this mean Part-Time 4x4?

That's not AWD then (AWD does not have a button, is always 'on'), is a 4x4 and on 'Auto' is practically 2WD (rears). Until you run on slippery snow...
What I said before applied to the true AWD.

Thanks SoNic67, that clears up the 4x4/AWD issue, my first 4x4 and I was unsure how the power was split. the Auto feature had me thinking.
Great site!

if you own an explorer this is the best site on the web bar none.

Back