Crawl Ratio sucks!! Need input.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Well today I was playing around and looking at crawl ratios and was truely disappointed with what I came up with.

Code:
hmm well my Explorer 
5 speed manual tranny  3.72
t-case 2.48
gears 3.27
crawl ratio  30:1

My other trail rig is 
auto tranny  2.47
t-case 2.48
gears 4.10
crawl ratio 25:1

hmmm that sucks!!!!!

lets see with the tranny and t-case swap if it gets better
c4 EB auto tranny  2.46
d20 t-case  2.34
gears 5.13

crawl ratio  30:1

hmmmm time to get a Klune-V

I have a few things on my mind to improve the crawl ratio without blowing a wad of money.

1st. Can the D20 be regeared and if so what options would I have? Anyone know?

2nd. I guess I could get a torque converter or so I am told but I have no idea about torque converters. So what are my options with a C4 and good torque converter to improve my crawl ratio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the good part of the auto, it doesn't act like only 25:1. Just need a big cooler.

I'm think 700r4 for the lower first and a switch to lock the converter for decents. Would be plenty for up here. :thumbsup:

The 700r4 is not in my future I have the C4 and D20 sitting outside from my donor 77EB chassis.

ME need maximum OVERDRIVE. :bounce:

Like was mentioned the automatics torque converter increases crawl ratio by as much as 2x.

TeraFlex makes 3.15:1 gears for the D20, and there may be other manufacturers as well. However I wouldn't be surprised if the price is in the $800-1000 range.

You can get 2 different ratio's for the EB dana 20. One is the Tera low 3.15's that were mentioned..... if you shop around you can find them for around $900. Another option is the Jeep Eaters 4.86 for $1600. Actually, now they're called "JP Eaters" for political reasons- i think Jeep was threatening a lawsuit. :rolleyes: Anyhoo, you can get the Tera's at www.wildhorses4x4.com or the JP's at www.bcbroncos.com

Remember, an automatic will give you about twice the crawl ratio as figured due to the torque converter. Its never figured into the real ratio, but you can pretty much guess if you've got a 25:1 with an auto its really more like 50:1 idling around.

Atlas II- 2hr install, super low, super tough, front-rear independance, super tough, shift on the fly fully synchro low range, and super tough :D

About the only way to go "cheap" is to figure out a doubler. Take the front part of a 231 or something and hook those planetary gears up to the case in your Ex. That allows you to shift into a double low range (multiply both low ranges) or to use one or the other as high range. I just saw a guy make one at home for almost free by welding up his own adaptor.

Here are a couple links to peruse...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Back