1999 Explorer Sport Front Wipers and Washer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Sport Front Wipers and Washer

WhyT

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I love this forum and have used it extensively to fix my car. However, I've searched the forums and am unable to find an identical problem/solution to my current issue.

I have a '99 Explorer Sport. The car sat unused for a week and when I returned the front windshield wipers and washer fluid pump are no longer working (the rear washer pump is working, but the rear wiper has not worked in years). The turn signals and high beams on the switch arm are working correctly.

I checked the interior cabin fuses and they are all intact. I also checked the fuses in the Power Distribution Box and they are intact. The Wiper Park Relay and Wiper High/Low Relay are black box "plugs," so not sure how to tell/test if these are O.K.

I do not hear any "clicking" or the motor/pump trying to engage when I turn on the wipers or push the washer fluid button.

I initially thought replacing the wiper motor would fix the problem, but not sure this is the source of the problem since the washer fluid is also not working (which I think is a separate pump).

If the wiper relays are bad, I would think the washer fluid pump would still work.

If the multi-switch is faulty, I would also think the turn signals and other functions would also not work correctly.

I also just realized that the power windows and power moon roof also do not operate, but the power locks and side view mirrors operate correctly.

Any suggestions or advice as to what to check/replace would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No expert here but I seem to recall reading another thread one time about someone with a similar problem. It turned out in that case to be the General Electronic Module (GEM) that is by the power distribution box. Tried to find the exact thread but couldn't. My memory's not perfect but it seems like they were talking about water leaking in there from the windshield and corroding the ground wire. Again, don't do anything based on my feeble advice, but you may want to search for threads about the GEM. Good luck.

Back