1999 explorer sport upper ball joints help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer sport upper ball joints help

lebel04

Reaction score
City, State
boston,ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport 4x4
Hi I have the one piece control arm and ball joints. I am trying to remove the unit and cannot clear the back side bolt on the drivers side. The bolt will only move so far and the control arm is stuck on the bolt by like 1/8th an inch. The bolt has a washer on it with a flat side that I have turned and had it pulled out as far as possible but the arm will just not clear it. The joint is loose. Anyone have an idea of what I am talking about and have an idea to help. Thanks I really am in the middle of this.
1999 Explorer sport 6 cylin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi the bolt is backed out as far as possible. it just about clears the bracket. It is impossible to remove completly as it is backed against a solid line, I moved the brake line to get it as far as I have and turned the washed to the flaT SIDE. I assume that is why the washer has a flat side. It is tough to explain but 1 thread of the bolt will not clear the bracket. I did punch it to where it is. thanks for trying to help

The flat side on the washer is for camber adjustment. It may help with clearence getting it out though.

99 ford explorer sport upper ball joint

Hi, on my year the control arm and ball joint are one piece. I have a new control arm w/ ball joint included but the right side pocket bolt will not come out enough to clear the control bar? any suggestions? also what do you mean about the cam adjustment? Thank you for your help in advance

99 ford explorer ball joint pinch bolt

hi, does anyone know if the pinch bolt come out to release the ball joint? do i hammer the ball joint up and out?
thanks

The pinch bolt does release the ball joint. Just pound up on the control arm and the ball joint will come up out of the wheel knuckle. Mine goes up on stands later this afternoon for a complete front suspension rebuild. If I notice something that may help, I'll let you know. MountaineerGreens thread on replacing the upper ball joints is really good though.

Bolt

Thanks for everyones reply, I finally did get the bolt out, getting it back in, I had to grind about 1/8" off the end of it to get it in and thru the hole. It was the only way it was going in. Just a tip if anyone else runs into this problem.

Back