1999 Explorer xlt manual transmission problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer xlt manual transmission problems.

toads

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer xlt
I have a 99 explorer 4.0L 2wheel drive with a 5 speed manual transmission. Transmission had been professionally rebuilt by previous owner about 3 years ago. Sometimes while trying to up shift it can be difficult to get into the next gear but not always. While downshifting I never have this issue. Shift bushing has been replaced. when trying to get !st gear sometimes if I try 5th or Reverse first then back to 1st it usually goes in easily. Any help would be appreciated.

Update. While driving last night it got stuck in third, and gear shift came free.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when trying to get !st gear sometimes if I try 5th or Reverse first then back to 1st it usually goes in easily
This part sounds like the classic symptom of the slave cylinder going out.

@toads

I would hope that the trans builder would have replaced the master and slave cylinder so as to properly warrant his work.

Let's assume he was reputable and did that - so it's been 3 years since the rebuild - and the trans has worlked fine until recently.

If that is the case - have you tried bleeding the transmission slave cylinder with a Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder?

Within the hydraulic assist system, it would be normal to get some rubber/material build-up from initial break in of the new hydraulic components, as well as a few air bubbles that were hidden during the initial install of the new parts.

OK - so the slave cylinder bleed nipple is near the bell housing on the drivers side - you can bleed it without lifting your Ex in the air.

Use standard DOT 3 Brake Fluid - Pep Boys carried Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 for about $7 Quart and I use it/standardize for both the Brake & Clutch system.

Prime the vacuum pump catch bottle with new brake fluid, and after bleeding I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you see some air get sucked out of the cylinder as well as some black rubber flakes suspended in the old clutch fluid.

912cVCQxp-L._AC_SY355_.jpg

valvoline-dot34-brakefluid.jpg

Hope that helps -

@toads

I would hope that the trans builder would have replaced the master and slave cylinder so as to properly warrant his work.

Let's assume he was reputable and did that - so it's been 3 years since the rebuild - and the trans has worlked fine until recently.

If that is the case - have you tried bleeding the transmission slave cylinder with a Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder?

Within the hydraulic assist system, it would be normal to get some rubber/material build-up from initial break in of the new hydraulic components, as well as a few air bubbles that were hidden during the initial install of the new parts.

OK - so the slave cylinder bleed nipple is near the bell housing on the drivers side - you can bleed it without lifting your Ex in the air.

Use standard DOT 3 Brake Fluid - Pep Boys carried Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 for about $7 Quart and I use it/standardize for both the Brake & Clutch system.

Prime the vacuum pump catch bottle with new brake fluid, and after bleeding I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you see some air get sucked out of the cylinder as well as some black rubber flakes suspended in the old clutch fluid.

View attachment 315791

View attachment 315792

Hope that helps -
Thank you I'll start with bleeding. And just happen to have the above bleeder system. thanks for now.

@toads

Tip -

Before bleeding, make sure and remove the old fluid that's in the engine compartment clutch reservoir "cup" on the drivers side fender panel.
Replace it with fresh fluid, then go about bleeding at the slave cylinder.

Bottom line - No need to suck through the old fluid that is in the reservoir cup all the way down to to the slave cylinder in the transmission, because the fluid in the cup has already absorbed water from the atmosphere.

Brake fluid is glycol based (same as coolant) and thus it is attracted to AND bonds with water.

Hope this helps, report back, and welcome to the forum!

Back