1999 Ford Explorer Alternator Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer Alternator Replacement

Lee's Automotive

Git-R-Done
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hello everyone, this video details the replacement of the Alternator on a 1999 ford explorer with the 4.0 SOHC I hope you all enjoy this video if you have any questions or comments let me know and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone, this video details the replacement of the Alternator on a 1999 ford explorer with the 4.0 SOHC I hope you all enjoy this video if you have any questions or comments let me know and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Good video Lee. Where did you get those battery terminals ?

Thanks for the video - nice fast.

Are you thinking about upgrading the 12 volt power wires as well to accommodate the higher current from the alternator?

Thanks for the video - nice fast.

Are you thinking about upgrading the 12 volt power wires as well to accommodate the higher current from the alternator?
Thanks, Actually that alternator turned out to be junk so I purchased a Remy alternator, and I haven't had an issue since but if I was to upgrade to a higher amperage alternator in the future id upgrade all of the wiring.

Thanks, Actually that alternator turned out to be junk so I purchased a Remy alternator, and I haven't had an issue since but if I was to upgrade to a higher amperage alternator in the future id upgrade all of the wiring.
You were not spinning it fast enough
High amp units like to spin faster
U would need a smaller pulley and belt

Chances are the high amp unit was in perfect working order

You were not spinning it fast enough
High amp units like to spin faster
U would need a smaller pulley and belt

Chances are the high amp unit was in perfect working order
Maybe that was the issue not sure tbh even at 2500rpm it was only putting out 12.4 with no accessories turned on

Maybe that was the issue not sure tbh even at 2500rpm it was only putting out 12.4 with no accessories turned on
Now at that rpm should have gotten 14

At idle mine Would only put out 12.4 volts at 600 RPM idle
Any higher and it would be fine

Now at that rpm should have gotten 14

At idle mine Would only put out 12.4 volts at 600 RPM idle
Any higher and it would be fine
Yep that was my issue i didn't mind higher rpm for more power but i wasn't getting anything from it

Back