1999 Limited transmission problem, help appreciated. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Limited transmission problem, help appreciated.

My Ranchero has 4.11's in it at the moment; I was planning a 351C-2V and an AOD. Someone stole the original C6 and a spare AOD I bought, time passed, and now I'm figuring a 3.50 gear and the 4R will be a good combo.
@CDW6212R
What year Ranchero? Tire diameter may still be played-with pretty effectively for the oldies. 'Course, the 5.0 & AOD had a VSS, which back then did little more than run the speed control. Those EEC-IV systems, ya had to fight to "throw" a CEL!

I currently have a nice '72 sitting out back, the guy restoed everything but the mechanicals. Crank turns tight, will eventually have to dig into THAT Cleveland! Any interest in buying? imp

@CDW6212R
What year Ranchero? Tire diameter may still be played-with pretty effectively for the oldies. 'Course, the 5.0 & AOD had a VSS, which back then did little more than run the speed control. Those EEC-IV systems, ya had to fight to "throw" a CEL!

I currently have a nice '72 sitting out back, the guy restoed everything but the mechanicals. Crank turns tight, will eventually have to dig into THAT Cleveland! Any interest in buying? imp

Mine's a 73, with a 72 Sport front end. I started on it 20 years ago, and now it needs both doors at least. I'll fix this one, or find another 73-75 with no door rust etc, and swap parts around. It only took cutting off the front few inches of the frame horns, to mount the 72 front end. The 72 had a bad trans cross member design, the bolts go through the frame and you cannot get to the top of them. The 73+ cars have a ledge at the frame, so a shorter cross member bolts to the ledge, easily.

My first car was the family's 72 Gran Torino, with a floor shift and console. So that interior is in this Ranchero, and I've got power window regulators, power door locks planned, Explorer steering column(CC etc). I'll use the common 97 Explorer PCM to run the 4R trans, and a 302 based 3V CHI head 351 engine. I hope I get that far, that's project #4 at the moment.

Mine's a 73, with a 72 Sport front end. I started on it 20 years ago, and now it needs both doors at least. I'll fix this one, or find another 73-75 with no door rust etc, and swap parts around. It only took cutting off the front few inches of the frame horns, to mount the 72 front end. The 72 had a bad trans cross member design, the bolts go through the frame and you cannot get to the top of them. The 73+ cars have a ledge at the frame, so a shorter cross member bolts to the ledge, easily.

My first car was the family's 72 Gran Torino, with a floor shift and console. So that interior is in this Ranchero, and I've got power window regulators, power door locks planned, Explorer steering column(CC etc). I'll use the common 97 Explorer PCM to run the 4R trans, and a 302 based 3V CHI head 351 engine. I hope I get that far, that's project #4 at the moment.
@CDW6212R
Jeez! Awsome work already accomplished, much left "on the plate". My biggest drawback is age: at 75 I "wanna" but sometimes can't. Determined to put a 4-post lift in my shop, to be able to continue this madness. When should one say, "enough"? I feel if I do, the rocking chair beckoning, then death awaits. Did I ever mention the '71 F-150 I bought as the last project before leaving Phoenix for a 300-acre place in Missouri? Used Motorsport 24 Lb injector kit with it's MAF, to convert an the truck's 390 FE. The biggest obstacle was the distributor, mated 390 base to 5.0 upper and bowl. Used stock intake manifold, drilled and threaded for bungs to accept injectors just above the intakes. A crazy project to prove a point: forum members chastised me stating the firing orders were different, "Can't work"!

Why is it so difficult to explain that the firing order is determined by the sequence of wires in the distributor cap? imp

That is true, parts don't know what they are being used for, they just do what they're told.

How tall is your ceiling where you want to put the 4-post lift? I have an almost 11' garage, and I wanted to do a 4-post, until I realized the door only opened to about 7' high. Just two weeks ago I noticed one of my customers with a car above and below his lift, and the door only looked about 7' tall(opening). I just Thursday got to ask him to show me that garage door. He paid about $550 to make the door taller, and for a much different opener(similar $550 cost). So if you are thinking of the lift to store a car, it can be done with a normal door opening(7'-8'). I might do that if I move to another house with that kind of garage, but those are rare.

Back