1999 Mercury Mountaineer - Chattering Vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mercury Mountaineer - Chattering Vibration

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L - automatic transmission with about 174,000 miles on it.
A few months ago I had to replace the front "DAYNA" drive shaft.

Now I have noticed when I back up or move forward with the wheels turned I can feel this chattering vibration until I straighten out the wheels.
The chattering is almost like a bad clutch on a standard transmission.
If I drive slowly I can hear and feel a slight snap now and then in the rear. Once I get rolling along it is fine.
Could one of you "Pro's" let me know what the problem might be ?
Any information will be very much appreciated.
Thank You.
Rick

Me too!!!

I`m having the same problem as you with the snapping part I think. As for the chattering when you're turning, it could be a wheel hub. Is it only making the sound when you're turning one way, or both? As for the sound coming from the back, it could be the axle damper (the 3rd shock). I'm going to be replacing mine in the next couple weeks. I just need it to get through the shipping process. I'll try to remember to write back here after I replace a few things.

If anyone else has any better ideas, I'm wondering what it could be to, just in case this doesn't fix the problem.

Hi Timex,
Thank you for your reply to my post, I appreciate it.

It happens when I turn or back up both ways.
If I am stopped and turn my wheels when I start moving I get the chattering sound and I can feel the vibration until my wheels straighten out and I get moving along.
It has me totally baffled
Thank you.
Rick

Back