• Register Today It's free!

1999 XLT 4W LOW Light ON

OnlyonePappa

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Okay one afternoon started the EX. the 4W Low came on... I backed out of the parking spot so I was pointed straight ahead. I put it in Neutral with my foot on the Brake then Moved the Switch from 4Auto to 4Hi... I put in drive and the 4X engaged (4Lo light still on)... I stopped put it Neutral and then back to Auto... put it in Reverse and backed up about 30 feet... then back into the parking spot... as I turned into the parking spot could feel the front axle still engaged...

From what I have read plus the 4Lo light (turned on by the GEM) I am at a loss for the root cause.
1. Have pulled the Neg Batt cable (about 20 minutes).
2. Replaced relays by the Gas Peddle no change.

Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you actually stuck in low range? If so you need to pull the electric shift motor from the transfer case and through the spigot back over to high range manually.

Are you actually stuck in low range? If so you need to pull the electric shift motor from the transfer case and through the spigot back over to high range manually.

It is stuck in High Range... the 4Lo light (GEM) is holding it there...

Ohm test on the 4x4 Switch was bad..... The switch was replaced... no change...

When I look at the wiring diagram I found the variable voltage tells the GEM whether 4Hi Or 4LO.. the Gem then Lights the light (hi or Lo) on the instrument panel and send a signal to the PCM (LO)... and then locks the transfer case...

When I unplug the 4x4 switch and start the Ex 4x4 Hi and Lo lights flash... I put it reverse and back up 20+ feet... When I put in Drive and turn the wheels that front axles are still locked.. Which tells me that the GEM still thinks in 4x4(providing power to the clutch coil)...

Ideas?

I would do a run up on the shift encoder.

I would do a run up on the shift encoder.

Sorry I pulled the 20A Fuse... it is essentially dead..

At this point it is looking like the GEM or something totally Bizarre

At this point the Brown Wire Mod is installed...
I am looking at pulling the Shift motor to look at the contacts on the encoder... if for some reason it is feeding the GEM and incorrect indication. It might be the cause... As it just turned the light on with no switch change to engage 4x4... It might be closer to the cause...

At this point the Brown Wire Mod is installed...

Oh, you have the brown wire mod installed hey? Is it true that Explorers can do a line locker burnout on the pavement with the brown wire mod installed? Also what engine variant do you have?

Back