• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen/2nd Gen

eahilfiger

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport Manual
Alright guys/gals here is the situation. I got a 94 Sport manual transmission. The car is not in terrible shape but needs a lot of work done to it. I have an opportunity to buy a 95 Sport manual transmission and was just wondering what if any parts could i swap back to my 94, since the 95 was wrecked in the front. I really not to car savvy, but this is a project that I need to get done. Any and all advice will help me out a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search here in the forums for "Frankentranny" :)

My bad, that is for a parts-swap for the auto trannie's

You didn't specify if it's a manual or auto tranny in the 95. I do believe that 91-95 used the same M5OD manual transmission

fixxxer, he did say the '95 was/is a manual trans.
I have an opportunity to buy a 95 Sport manual transmission

eahilfiger,
I have a copy of Hollander Interchange (but it only goes to 2003), if you want something looked up, PM me and I'll look the part up for you. Hollander isn't the end all of interchangeable parts, but it's pretty good.

Good thing is that they are both OBDI/EECIV if you are wondering about engine compatability.

The 5 speed should swap into your '94. It may even be the HD version, but i doubt it since the SOHC wasn't available then. Either way it's got to be in a little better shape. The rear end would be a good swap to get disc brakes. The engine would likely swap if you swapped the intake and sensors off of your '94 onto it. The t-case is different, and the front end is different. Obviously many of the body parts are different as well. Seats should swap fine.

You guys have been nothing but help, I do appreciate it guys/gals. Both trucks have manual trans. The 95 got totaled out...so if i can get a back-up trans/engine the $400 or so dollars is a good investment. Plus I think a lot of little parts will swap over like, visors, door mirrors, ashtrays, seats (like somebody already said) maybe some of the windows (I need the front windshield)....Once again thanks

$400 bucks for the '95???

Even if the front end is toast, thats worth it just for the tranny, depending on mileage. You can pull off the heads as well if you can't just swap the engine.

Any other body parts you don't need or can't use, you can sell on here as an Elite Explorer and maybe make some of your money back..or at least it'll be like getting the Elite membership paid for...nice deal!

$400 for the tranny? I can pull em for $55 at my local wrecking yard. If you can fine em..

Alright hers my logic...Got my 1st kid on the way in November, and it would be really nice to have the second car. Mother gave me a 94 Explorer a couple of years ago. The transmission was supposed to be newly rebuilt..But I had to put one in any way, and the last time I made it home in it, I just parked got out and never got back in. So it's just been sitting. The cost of mechanics or new/used car payments will run me about the same as if I buy the tools and do most of the work myself. So as of now I have some tools but acquiring them as I go along.

I am not looking for a fancy car just a nice clean car. But as of now the car needs an exhaust system. The passenger door dented and missing trim along with damaged mirror (glued in place), pass. rear qtr panel dent. Needs tires. Dash board cracked. Bumpers dented. Inside door handles broken. Drivers side door leans. Hatch positioned loopsided. When it rained, the ceiling would leak down the window to the back of the dashboard, so I imagine all of that is rusted. Various parts on exterior glued on and screwed in, damaged or missing. Various interior parts missing, damage. Door locks are mismatched.

I broke the front windshield trying to get it out, because some used tar to secure it all the way around, and then chalked the inside..just retarded. I ripped out the headliner since the roof leaks. I pulled up the front seats. Grille off, Stereo out.

I see rangers and broncos II's for sale all day long for about $400, but it appears only the dashboard and the front end/rear suspension are swappable. So when I saw the 95 in looked them up and the said it was basically the same shell but they added 2 inches. whatever it hit, it went under and stopped, but everything from the windshield back is fine except airbags and slight door damage. Was hoping the dashboard would swap, the seats, carpet, headliner, with a little trim...maybe the doors can swap out and I don't deal with broken handles. The windshield and electrical system would be nice. Oh and a spare tire. Or Swap the front end of the 94 onto the 95 with engine...

Current project is front suspension. I will be trying to take off the entire drivers side back to the frame, to be either serviced or replaced.

I know you can use the interior door panels from the 1995 X, but the doors themselves, I believe are different. The windshield out of the 95 will NOT fit your 94 (according to Hollander). Swapping the front clip from the 94 to the 95 is doable, just make sure that the totaled X is allowed to be insured/registered again. Sometimes they are listed as "parts only" by the insurance company.

Back