1st gen Bad body roll and sway!?!?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen Bad body roll and sway!?!?!?!

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
Well ive been noticeing it more and more over the past few months. Going around turns that ive once been able to go around at around 45-50 mph with little body roll i now have to slow down to 35-40 mph because it feels like the trucks going over and swaays a lot.The swaying isnt really bad around turns but in a straight line. Does anyone have any idea what could be causeing this? :help: The truck has 4 new shocks, new radius arm bushing/brackets, all the steering is tight as new and the swaybars and all of related swaybar componets seem to look ok.
Any help or thoughts on what to look over would be gratly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't mean to come across as a smart @ss but have you checked the tire pressures.

I don't think you're being a smart @ss Red. It's always best to check the simple things first.

Have you gone through and re-tightened everything since you've done the new radius arm bushings/brackets and shocks?

I know after I put my lift on I had to go in and retighten my shocks and my sway bar bolts actually backed off to the point that it felt like my sway bar was disconnected. I had to retighten those twice before they finally held.

Don't mean to come across as a smart @ss but have you checked the tire pressures.

LOL....no harm in asking a good question but yeah ive checkd them and all were at 35psi.

I don't think you're being a smart @ss Red. It's always best to check the simple things first.

Have you gone through and re-tightened everything since you've done the new radius arm bushings/brackets and shocks?

I know after I put my lift on I had to go in and retighten my shocks and my sway bar bolts actually backed off to the point that it felt like my sway bar was disconnected. I had to retighten those twice before they finally held.

Yeah...everything is tight and has locktite on all the nuts and bolts. This is kinda why im stumped. I did all that work in hopes it would cure the problem but its just as bad as it was with the old parts. I never touchd any of the swaybar compnets just check to see if they were tight. i do however have worn tires. LOL i can just barley see abes head on a penny. Could worn tires do this because of weaker sidewalls? I wouldnt think so because i had new tires on when i did all the work and still had this problem.

I would think if it happened on new tires as well as worn then it has to be some other issue.

Hmmm....forgive me for going through the obvious things but I'm not exactly a master mechanic hahaha.

When you say the steering is new what all have you changed?

Here's something you might check, if you haven't already. Revisit your new RA bushings and check that there is no "space" left in them. I've read a couple of posts on here where owners have replaced RA bushings, but the new ones were slightly smaller and they had to add washers/spacers.

I think this is my problem too. I've replaced my RA bushings numerous times and I'm sure the nut is as tight as possible, but I still get the "clunk" usually associated with bad bushings.

I don't have a bad sway, but my '91 has never ridden the same after the first time I changed my RA bushings.

Just something to check. Good luck.

I just may try checking my radius arm bolts and add waashers if needed, as far as steering parts ive replace.... new outer tie rod ends, draglink, inner tierod and new ball joints if that would matter. I do have almost 300,000 miles on my X and i do know for sure it needs a new steering gear box. I have way to much play in the steering wheel.

Thanks again guys....i just hate ttaking my X to the shop just to get bent over for a but load of money. ill check all the above that you all posted.

Well i have no idea what it could be now. Everything is as tight as it can get

Back