• Register Today It's free!

1st gen dash removal?

espaceadric

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
i was just wondering if anyone has done a write-up (possibly with pics) for a 93 x dash removal. if not it would be great to get some info on it. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How far do you need to take it apart? To get the instrument cluster out is quick.. So is getting under/behind the steering wheel.

If you need the above, I can do that from memory (I actually no longer need to remove any screws to remove the front of my dash to get to the instrument cluster.

~Mark

i have to be able to get to the wiring harness

hey get in touch with me if you need any help im in hurst and would be glad to give you a hand getting it off

That is deeper than I have been.. but I can get you started..

Pull the ashtray out..
pull the 2 screws out that were beside the ashtray..
I'm not positive, but I believe there are 2 screws at the bottom of the dash (might be 3) on the left side..
Now you should be able to pull the front of the dash out.. You will have to put your shifter in 1st to get it to clear.. Also, if you have push button 4x4, dont' forget to disconnect the buttons before you pull the front all the way off.

Hope that helps some. I know its not far enough for you.. but it should get you started.. I've gone a little deeper than that, but at this point things make sense (you pull screws to take things off)..

~Mark

Maniak said:
That is deeper than I have been.. but I can get you started..

Pull the ashtray out..
pull the 2 screws out that were beside the ashtray..
I'm not positive, but I believe there are 2 screws at the bottom of the dash (might be 3) on the left side..

~Mark

There are no screws on the left side, just clips. You have to open the door so the dash clears though.

i was just wondering if anyone has done a write-up (possibly with pics) for a 93 x dash removal. if not it would be great to get some info on it. thanks.

I have been swapping interiors from tan to gray in a 93 x the past couple days, tomorrow I am doing the dash, I was planning on doing a writeup on it. now I will definitely do one and post asap

Yeah, i've pulled mine like 3 times in the last week, and the last time I decided to take picks, Soon as i get the cable for the camera i'll post some pics.

Anyone got some pics or that write-up finished? I pretty positive I gotta take out the dash to take out the stereo, someone stole the faceplate off it before I bought it. Plus I gotta check the wiring for my 4x4 buttons... How far do I need to remove the dash?

To take out the stereo, you can pull the dash, but you dont have to, as for the 4x4 button, you "should" but you may be able to pry it out (what i did when I switched mine, but its a bad idea cuz you can break the clips) I'll work on the write up when I get home tonight (at work atm, going to gym after work).

well i thought you were talking about the entire dash, but to get the radio out and the 4x4 buttons out all you have to do is open the ash tray and take out the 2 bolts in there then remove the ashtray assembly and disconnect the wire plug.
after the ashtray is out of the way you should be able to carefully but forcefully pull on the dash it will come off pull all the way around it making sure that all the clips are disconnected DO NOT FORGET THERE IS ONE ON EITHER SIDE OF THE STEERING COLUMN. I broke those ones the first time I did it.
then unplug all the switches.
then you can persuade it up and over the steering wheel, you will have to slightly flex it to get it to come out

i will be doing a write up on an ENTIRE dash with pics within the next week which will include that plus removing the rest of the dash

im not sure how closely related the 91 and 93 are but i used these steps

1 pull out cigarette ashtray and radio
2 theres two bolts that are behind the ashtray so remove those.
3 start removin the trim. (u might have to move the shift lever to have clearence to continue removing)
4 at the bottom of the cluster remove the shift indicator it has two tiny bolts. and then continue removing the bolts that secure it to the dash. and it shood come out as one piece.

Back