1st Gen Explorer 4x4 Problem, Front Hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen Explorer 4x4 Problem, Front Hubs

GoodOleBoy

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Hey there, so i have a 93 Explorer XLT thats having some problems with the 4x4. It has the push button 4x4 with automatic locking hubs, and when i hit the button the 4x4 does engage but there is a very noticable problem. When engaged it drives straight no problem but when you turn the steering wheel its very hard to turn, and when you make any considerable turn the front wheels seem to stick or lock up and it causes alot of jerking from the front end. Also, when you hit the button again to disengage the 4x4 it has trouble going back into rwd, the front hubs stay locked and still jerk the front end when you turn, it takes ALOT of pushing the button on and off to disengage the front hubs. If you can think of any reason why this is happening and a possible fix that would be great.

Note, steering, and braking all feel fine in rwd, the jerking and sticking of the wheels only happens when ou engage the 4x4.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, you do need to back up a little ways to unlock the auto hubs.
The "jerking" could be the front axle ujoints being bound up, rusted, etc.
Please note that some of that will alsom be normal, but not severe.

Where are you when your testing the 4x4? The symptoms your desribing will happen if you are on hardpack or the road. The tires must be able to slip since they are moving on different tracks when turning.

~Mark

Like (MANIAK) said that is a part time 4 wheel drive and can not be driven on hard or dry road, if you continue you will cause damage to the 4X4. It is meant for snow or very wet off road conditions.

I had this problem with both of mine and I did a trouble shoot on the whole system but eventually found out 2 things. 1st gens wont come out of 4x4 unless you put it in reverse for at least 15ft. 2nd Having the 4x4 computer in the quater panel exposes it to a whole lot more elements then you want. Pull you 4x4 computer, brain whatever you want to call it and open it up. Only 2 bolts and three connectors to remove it. Once thats done check the connectors both male and female for corrosion. Then open the brain up just be gentle and keep it clean. Check for corrosion or burnt marks on the the board. $30 at the junkyard for mine and my it works great now. Also theirs so resistance checks online that you can do on the connectors to the brain to rule out other problems.

Back