• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen Leaking FPR Line Fix!

YW84U

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I have found a potential solution for us early 1st Gen owners that suffer from a leak from the fuel return line at the top of the regulator onto the intake manifold:

I had replaced my FPR some time back, and as a result, found that it would drip fuel - where the 90 degree push-on fitting went onto the pigtail of the regulator. My initial response was to price out a new fuel line - $412.00 CDN. Next response was to wiggle it just right so it wouldn't leak, and put some tape over the plastic fitting..........

As one would expect, the leak came back, forming lakes of gas onto the intake. A shop studied it for two days, and could not come up with any other solution other than replacing the entire section of line. I did some searches on the boards, and found that others have sought a solution for this as well in the past.

In or around 92 forward, the new FPR design called for a threaded fitting rather than the 'push-on' variety. Taking a gamble, I purchased a newer design, and began the auto-wrecker crawl. Unfortunately, it seems that most wreckers just unclip both lines at the frame and sell of the engine as a whole. However, I did manage to find a 93 with both lines still attached. $30 later, I found that the newer regulator and line combination fit just fine - the line was a little longer (and a little less diameter), but the fuel pressures and return system worked flawlessly. Grand total under $160 CDN. The threaded design at least will ensure that a new line won't develop future leaks if it is disturbed again.

Hope someone on the board may find this helpful!

Back