• Register Today It's free!

1st oil change

Ryan327

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Not the standard question on when to do the first oil change and don't want to get into that here. Did my first swap to full synthetic at 1500 miles and the motor seems right at the midlevel on the dip stick with only 5 qts. The manual says 6 but seems like that would be well overfilled.

Anyone else done their own oil change yet and what did you find took to fill it up?

Tonight after letting it sit for awhile it still seemed the same, I added a little less then 1/3rd of the 6th qt. just to bring it up to full. Would like to hear your .02!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6 QTS brings it to the right level, not over.

6 U.S. quarts is 5.7 litres. I've had four oil changes done at the dealership and each one was 5 litres.

Peter

6 qts puts both of ours on the full mark.

6 quarts.

Maybe you didn't drain it enough? Wrong oil filter?

Something is up here. Owners manual states 6 qts.

Ryan, don't get caught making the same mistake that I did recently. The big jugs of oil are 5 quarts not 4 (gallon) like they used to be. That means 1 jug plus 1 quart is 6 quarts total.

I've changed oil on a lot of cars, the mistake most people make is right away following the manual and then overfilling. Definately used the right filter and 6 1qt jugs. I'm not really worried about it at all, just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar result, which is pretty much exactly what PeterK said.

Put 6 in mine and it was at the full mark,

Back