2.1L KB SC or 03-04 Cobra DOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.1L KB SC or 03-04 Cobra DOHC

Stillen GLE

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton NJ
The Kit on KB.com says its for a 86-95 5.0 Mustang Motor, will this be a direct swap into a 5.0 Explorer?

Also I have considered Getting a 3rd Gen and swapping a 03-04 Cobra 4.6L DOHC into it. I know that 3rd Gens have the 4.6L in them to begin with so I imagine this would be a direct swap aside from the Cobra ECM etc.

The Marauder and Mach 1 have the same motor except there's is a DOHC aluminum.

I have read also that KB.com had on their site that they made a KB S/C but didn't put them into production but as I clicked on a link to it from somewhere it still had the full page up. But then when I clicked on S/C it didn't have it listed on there. So Like I said before I am assuming its not in production anymore.

Now here's the question I plan to use this truck as a beater if anything. Would it be worth it to just get a 2nd Gen with a 5.0 and slap the 86-95 KB S/C on there? Or should I get the 3rd Gen and swap a 03-04 Cobra Motor into it.

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it my apologies if so.

Thanks alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The KB won't bolt up to the explorer, the front accessories are different, there were a couple of other kits out there but none are in production anymore.

thanks man. so your saying the 86-95 KB S/C will not be a direct bolt on?

I have read on here that someone put a 2.3L on their 4.6L with little modifaction.

Would it be worth the hassle of swapping in the 4.6L DOHC from the Cobra into a 3rd gen?

thanks man. so your saying the 86-95 KB S/C will not be a direct bolt on?

I have read on here that someone put a 2.3L on their 4.6L with little modifaction.

Would it be worth the hassle of swapping in the 4.6L DOHC from the Cobra into a 3rd gen?

Yes, it will not bolt on to and explorer 302 as the accessories are different so nothing would line up. You would have to figure out a custom install. And at that point a remote turbo would probably be more practical.

As far as the 3rd gen goes I have no idea. The motor will drop right in but as far as the rest of it I'm not nearly familiar enough with them to have a clue.

thanks man. appreciate the help. Ill sure someone will chime in that aspect.

If not, I heard the 96-04 KB S/C will bolt up with little to no modifaction for the 4.6L in the 3rd gen.

The KB Mustang kit has been done for an Explorer 302. Todd did it but it takes some fabrication of the front pulley bracket, and a different extension. There are several Mustang kits, 86-93 differs from 94/95 kits. They were available in small(KB 1.5 liter) or 2.2 liter blowers. The small one is enough for a stock 302, the bigger blower is best for a built 302 with better pistons etc.

The 3rd gen. trucks I believe are easier to work with. There are a few excellent examples of very fast SOHC trucks with adapted superchargers. Those have been done very well, and lots of pictures and detailed help is here about them. It's not easy to find, but it's here. I too wanted to do a DOHC and KB blower, but the differences between the SOHC/DOHC motors, and the minor gain in power, it made me skip that idea. Welcome and good luck,

thanks for your response. I am sure its easier to put a KB on a 3rd Gen Explorer.

Find the thread of Rob(KBX) and his KB install. He was detailed enough that you can gauge how much work it was. FYI, they all bought aftermarket engines, adding a good $8000 to the total cost. They did it for insurance, the later 4.6 engines are very expensive.

The 347 I have built was chosen to only receive 8psi or so, I made it with high compression for better street use and because the stock block can't really take the power that higher boost would make. I spent about $4500 or so on this engine.

I suggest you pick the truck you like the best, assuming you can afford either one.

Thanks, I was recently checking out the expeditions as well, and from my understanding it comes with either a 4.6L and a 5.4L, do you know what 4.6L is comes with a 2 Valve or 3 Valve. Cause I wanna see if the KB would work on it.

The Expeditions will all be 2 valves, the 3 valve engines were just recently, in the last few years. The Expedition 5.4 would give you the option of working with the Lightning parts, which are bolt on and easy to find.

thanks looks like I got options here. the Lighting use's the same 5.4L 2V SOHC as the Expy's I am really looking for something for DD with a little pep to it. I plan to buy a 03-04 Cobra or CTS-V either or, I just don't want to daily drive it.

You can get big power into these SUV's, but it takes some money, and it's not as easy as a Mustang. Look to sites like SBFtech for inspiration and advice about an engine. Each vehicle has it's weak links, the one in the pre 2002 trucks is the exhaust manifolds. Those suck, Ford failed miserably with those. The aftermarket failed to make an adequate header, so you are faced with doing custom headers. Search around the sites, the Car Domain for ideas, then pick one and go for it.

Thank's I be sure to look into it. I am really just looking for a beater and prefer a SUV/Truck and the expedition and explorer are something I am looking at. and would like to be able to play with people so I don't get bored if I am not driving the cobra or cts whichever I decide to get.

Bump I am interested in swapping in a 03-04 Cobra engine, can I use a Aviator ECU to program it etc, or would it be best to flash the 3v ecu.

I believe the PCM in the vehicle you use will work fine, assuming that's a 2002+ Explorer etc. I'd look hard for an Aviator before an Explorer though, unless you want the sleeper look.

The OBDII(1995+) PCM's can generally handle any variation of the same type of engine they have originally. The 99+ models have COP(coil on plug), so those are better to have. I'd ask Rob if you can, he's been away from the site for a while. Rob put a big KB on his aftermarket 4.6 2V engine, with the stock PCM(tuned). He later turned off the trans function and swapped to a stronger 4R70W, with a stand alone computer for that.

I believe the PCM in the vehicle you use will work fine, assuming that's a 2002+ Explorer etc. I'd look hard for an Aviator before an Explorer though, unless you want the sleeper look.

The OBDII(1995+) PCM's can generally handle any variation of the same type of engine they have originally. The 99+ models have COP(coil on plug), so those are better to have. I'd ask Rob if you can, he's been away from the site for a while. Rob put a big KB on his aftermarket 4.6 2V engine, with the stock PCM(tuned). He later turned off the trans function and swapped to a stronger 4R70W, with a stand alone computer for that.

Thanks man, Yea I want the sleeper look and yes I am looking at 02-versions etc.

Very good. do contact Rob if you can and ask him what he thinks of the choices, SOHC vs DOHC, and aftermarket engines. The stock engines can take a decent power upgrade, but they and aftermarket engines are not cheap.

Back