2-3 Flare is back!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-3 Flare is back!!

Central Valve Body has a decent reputation. My thumbs up.

I agree and disagree with XFatcatX. There are so many possibles on the 2-3 flare that no one can say to a certainty what is causing it in a particular situation.

I have found that the FORD MOD and a Superior Shift kit and new EPC fixes it in a majority of cases. NOT ALL.

When that does not do it, then comes the tough call. WHAT is causing it? IF.... in those cases a new VB fixes it, then we are further isolating the true culprit..... maybe... somewhere in that old VB.

The 5R55E VB is a tortured soul.... with the modulated solenoids....and wear they cause. Is there a real villain and does the FORD MOD and the Superior Kit and the new EPC merely add enough pressure to overcome the true culprit? Would be interesting to explore.

I'd love to have a vb out of a vehicle that still had the 2-3 flare even when all the usual fixes were done, and when a NEW VB fixed it. THEN we could carefully inspect the old vb for what was going on.....will we find anything? I dunno... maybe.

Central Valve Body has a decent reputation. My thumbs up.

I agree and disagree with XFatcatX. There are so many possibles on the 2-3 flare that no one can say to a certainty what is causing it in a particular situation.

I have found that the FORD MOD and a Superior Shift kit and new EPC fixes it in a majority of cases. NOT ALL.

When that does not do it, then comes the tough call. WHAT is causing it? IF.... in those cases a new VB fixes it, then we are further isolating the true culprit..... maybe... somewhere in that old VB.

The 5R55E VB is a tortured soul.... with the modulated solenoids....and wear they cause. Is there a real villain and does the FORD MOD and the Superior Kit and the new EPC merely add enough pressure to overcome the true culprit? Would be interesting to explore.

I'd love to have a vb out of a vehicle that still had the 2-3 flare even when all the usual fixes were done, and when a NEW VB fixed it. THEN we could carefully inspect the old vb for what was going on.....will we find anything? I dunno... maybe.

I was hoping Central Valve Body would have found something wrong with my v.b. Do you think I am looking at a rebuild at this time?Donny said it could be in the servo pin bore.What are your thoughts on that and how difficult would that be to check?Since the v.b. tested out ok what are the chances it could still be v.b. related?I received the v.b. in the mail today but I won't have time to install it until sometime next week.

2-3 flare requires a few things happen in a closely controlled sequence time wise. A lot of fluid is called for to disengage and engage clutches and bands in a closely choreagraphed dance.

This thread describes it:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174202

One needs to evaluate each component and how it is released and applied.

I installed the v.b. with the new upgrades plus the pressure riser that I left out the first time.The transmission shifts great with zero flare and no delay in reverse.I almost gave up and went with the rebuild after the flare came back.
Yahoo!!!

Back