• Register Today It's free!

2.3 in a B2? Anyone done this?

zjrog

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger
I have a 90 Ranger with 2.3 and 5 speed. Its likely going to be swapped out for a Explorer 4.0 and A4LD. Once these projects are out of the driveway, I have a couple ideas I'd like to tackle with a B2. I'm even considering a dead motor rig. Has anyone put a 2.3 in a B2? I don't think they were ever an option either. Plans for a B2 if one becomes available, complete chop top, finish the bed off with a Ranger bedrails and inner fenders. Taillight to door jamb. Not a big build on tall tires, maybe stuck on 235s or tallest, 30s. I'll have 3.73s and 4.10 available. I don't need it as a trail monster, or a speed demon. Just a fun cruising machine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess it would be an easy swap with the ranger motor mounts etc, but for the trouble and to make it want to go down the road and be fun I think you would be better off with the 2.9 or even a 4.0. the 4.0 is a pretty simple swap into a bII and really makes driving it comfortable. its got enough power to make cruising down the highway enjoyable instead of being a pita. I get wanting to use the stuff you have but I think you would be better off selling that drivetrain on clist and getting something else.

Thats mostly why we're swapping the 4.0 into the Ranger. But its on 33s and a lift. I was just thinking if we swapped the 2.3 into a dead B2 might be a different kind of toy. The 2.3 and 5 speed netted 28MPG when I used it to commute, with 4.10s and 31s. Don't be in a hurry and 5th is a pipe dream on the freeway. But around town and on the trails its a blast. With smaller tires in a lightened B2 might be sort of fun.

I was thinking of doing the same with 2.5L Gas mileage would be way nice and in stripped down bronco, it would work. And it makes more power than a 2.8L It shouldn't be too bad.

2.3 into 1984 Bronco II

I have a 1984 Bronco II that I have swapped in a 2.3 turbo from a 1988 TC. The engine swap was not to difficult. I used the engine portion of the TC wiring harness. I used engine mounts of my own design so I could retain the accessory drives from the TC including the AC compressor. The engine runs rings around the old 2.8 carburetor setup. I have 33X12.50 and 4.56 gears. It has no trouble keeping up with traffic or cruising down the interstate. I get 18 mpg in town and 23 on the highway. With smaller tires and higher gears I could do better. I am very happy with the swap except the engine mounts I designed use urethane body mounts and are really stiff. I say if you want to do the swap do it. I will post photos when I have resized them.

Revisiting this, the 2.3 might not make more power than a carbed 2.8, but still might be a little more economical. Just for fun.

We just swapped the Explorer 4.0 into the Ranger, and the 2.3 is sitting waiting its turn. I am waiting to hear back on a 86 B2 that is unknown condition, but cheap, and waiting to hear back on a 87 that already has a 4.0 in it, but the wiring isn't done. And I know of another B2, probably 84-86 that hasn't been moved in almost 2 years I may go offer $100 for soon. But not until the Explorer shell is gone and the Ranger is on the road and reliable.

Revisiting this, the 2.3 might not make more power than a carbed 2.8, but still might be a little more economical. Just for fun. I am waiting to hear back on a 86 B2 that is unknown condition, but cheap, and waiting to hear back on a 87 that already has a 4.0 in it, but the wiring isn't done.

the wiring can be intimidating but it really should only take a few hrs if you know what wires to splice, I got all my info on the wiring from TRS

the wiring can be intimidating but it really should only take a few hrs if you know what wires to splice, I got all my info on the wiring from TRS

I agree, its intimidating as heck. Especially if you have your head in a cranial/rectal inversion like I did for two days getting the Explorer interior harness adapted to the Ranger. I seriously overthought the situation. And was only going off Hayne's diagrams and odd stuff found on the net...

I agree, its intimidating as heck. Especially if you have your head in a cranial/rectal inversion like I did for two days getting the Explorer interior harness adapted to the Ranger. I seriously overthought the situation. And was only going off Hayne's diagrams and odd stuff found on the net...

haha cranial rectal inversion, thats funny shiz. all I actually had to wire in was the ignition wires and starter, then I cut out the abs and A/C wiring, that was the bulk of the front part of the harness, so 3 or 4 wires for the ignition and that was it. the biggest thing was that I hooked power for the power distribution box up to the wrong side of the solenoid, that mistake took me a full day to figure out.

Well, for the 4.0 into the 2.3 Ranger we used everything from a 94 Explorer, so I had a bunch to cut out and a few things to alter. I did keep the ABS wiring, but might revisit that idea. Its in the harness if we ever want to put it in, but I doubt it. The interior harness for the Explorer gave me some issue till I figured a few things out. I'm an engineering tech by trade, so, who needs manuals?

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. 92 2.3 from Ranger into 90 Bronco II.

2.9 and 2.3 seem to share most wiring with the exception of the ign. module wiring.
Anyone know the specifics of wiring the 2.3 module into the bronco's harness.

Back