2.3l ecoboost 4 cyl swap into 2000 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3l ecoboost 4 cyl swap into 2000 Ranger

HenryHoward

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger
Hello folks, I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Ranger with a non running 3.0l V6. I want to swap in a 2.3l ecoboost 4 cylinder with the 6 speed automatic transmission from a late model Mustang. Has anybody done this swap? I would really appreciate any info or tips on making this swap. Specifically I need to know about motor mounts and any clearance problems. Will the stock 2.5l 4 cyl engine mounts bolt up to this engine? Will the k-member need to be modified? I hope to hear from you soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no specific information on clearance, but I'm guessing this is a pretty advanced swap and will require all sorts of modification and fab work.

Is this your daily driver? Do you have any experience with turbos? 2wd? Budget?

I'd love to see someone pioneer this.

Your wish list could be done, lots of wiring and fabricating. Easiest path to install a ecoboost would be the 2.0 using the Ford control pack. 02 up 2.3L ranger motor mounts and a manual trans from either a ranger or Mazda miata. To use the auto trans would require a complete wiring transplant from the ecoboost donor.

It looks like there is a lot of interest but not much "been there done that". Stay tuned and I will post updates when appropriate. This will be my daily driver as I plan on selling my Elantra to help pay for this adventure. I would actually prefer a manual transmission but I will probably go with the automatic since the Ranger was originally an auto trans. It seems like it would require less work even with the added complexity of the wiring since I won't have to install a clutch pedal. I don' know much about turbo set up thats why I wanted to go with the ecoboost - the figuring out is already all done.

Installing a clutch pedal would likely be the easiest part of this swap. How long can your truck be out of commission?

Do you have a wrecked late model mustang to keep swapping parts?

You are going to need the engine management system and wiring also. Who really knows what else once you get going. Are the ignition keys chip keys?

I'm always interested in motor swaps. The ecoboost is
It looks like there is a lot of interest but not much "been there done that". Stay tuned and I will post updates when appropriate. This will be my daily driver as I plan on selling my Elantra to help pay for this adventure. I would actually prefer a manual transmission but I will probably go with the automatic since the Ranger was originally an auto trans. It seems like it would require less work even with the added complexity of the wiring since I won't have to install a clutch pedal. I don' know much about turbo set up thats why I wanted to go with the ecoboost - the figuring out is already all done.
I like people that take the path less traveled. If you can find a complete donor car, that would be the cheapest. There is a member here that swapped a 3.5L ecoboost into a sport trac.

I can't wait to see how you made this happen. Personally I would use a transmission with the capability of the stock truck, the mustang has a low towing capacity and I'm sure the tranny is no exception. I was thinking about this the other day, but I knew I didn't have the money or know-how to do it.

The Mustang transmission couldn't be worse than the 5r55e.

M-6007-23T control pack from ford would be the easy route.

Sorry to bring this thread from the dead, but I ran across it doing research on this same swap. I have a 1999 Mazda B2500 and I started looking into this swap. From what I gather, the 2.3L Ecoboost is part of the Duratec engine family and the Ranger got that in 2001. So...with that logic, I am pretty sure the engine mounts from the 2001 Ranger would work on the Ecoboost engine and make it bolt-in...

Quicktime make a bellhousing to use a TKO500/600 behind this engine and that will open up numerous shifter locations.

I've done several LS swaps into various vehicles and the rest of this swap song pretty straight forward. Use the Ford M-6007-23T control pack...and off we go...

Can anyone confirm or know anything more about the engine mounts?

Andrew

Any news on this swap? Looking at doing it to a 92 explorer with the M5OD

Back