Turbo'd 2.3L Swap

Tnashua

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I haven't torn into the 4.0L OHV in my 98 XLT 4x4 5-speed yet to see how serious the damage is... but am pondering an engine swap if it is going to cost me over $300 to fix what I've got. Anyone done this (know of someone who has pulled it off)? I'd REALLY like to swap a EcoBoost 4 into it, but I can't find an engine with computer & wiring that fits my budget- ad in the fact that these engines are primarily FWD automatics & I think that wiring & computer mods to work w/ my 4x4 5-speed make it an impossible dream... the 2.3L SOHC might be doable, but I'm looking for your input before progressing down that road.
It is just a family & occasional parts hauler that we got so we'd still have a 4x4 after I sold my truck. We'd love to increase fuel economy so that we could take it more places w/ less $ spent on fuel...
Thanks for your input!

The 87-88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe had the 2.3 turbo, and made like 190hp and 240ft lbs and that with a smaller IHI turbo as well, though some modders swap back to the earlier T3 for a bit more boost. Take that and add a free flowing exhaust, a better cold air intake, tune, it would be a nice setup. They also came with a auto and manual as well.

^thats the old 2.3 Lima. It's not exactly efficient. Any of the Eco boost motors will be a PITA to swap. Most are fwd, and good luck getting the computers to play nice.

You're best bet is the 2.3 duratec, but even still you're gonna have a hard time with the computers. It is in rangers though, and bolts up to the m5

You're best bet is the 2.3 duratec, but even still you're gonna have a hard time with the computers. It is in rangers though, and bolts up to the m5

If you want a 4 banger this is the way to go. Has a ton of low-mid power that is needed in a truck. My focus has the 2.3 in it, that little car hauls ass stock.

It wouldn't be the easiest swap though. Keep in mind no swap will be cheap and fixing your current engine will be cheaper.

Back