2.3L EcoBoost Turbo Run Identifier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3L EcoBoost Turbo Run Identifier

floridaheli

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Lmtd
I have a 2016 Explorer Lmtd with the 2.3L EcoBoost engine.

How can I identify when the Turbo is running?

This will help me increase the gas mileage as it is just 21.1 mpg now on Regular.

I don't do any towing so I don't use Premium fuel. I tried the high octane stuff but the gas mileage did not improve.

Right now it has 6,000 miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure the turbo is "running" all of the time. It is driven by the exhaust. The amount of boost varies by how much throttle you are giving it. I doubt there is anything other than driving conservatively that will improve your fuel economy.

^x2 Turbo is always spinning and you control mpg by your right foot.

You can buy a OBDII adapter for about $20 on amazon and buy the Forscan app from iTunes or android and monitor your boost via your smart phone or tablet if you really want to see. But you always have boost.. may only be 1 or 2 lbs of it but when you are driving, boost is being created by the exhaust.

Of course you are correct. There is no clutch in the turbo to separate the exhaust driven turbine from the intake compressor turbine.

Thanks for the replies.

One thing I'm curious about is the possibility that you can have the blow off valve stay open via software so that despite you have the turbo spinning, you won't force too much air into the system when you don't need it and that means you don't need as much fuel.

The problem with a turbocharger is that you're always having more air put in during acceleration so you always have to have more fuel to go with it. On heavy acceleration, the Ecoboosts actually put in more fuel than necessary to cool the combustion. Mazda uses an EGR to do this so they don't squirt more fuel than necessary. That's why you seen black soot in the exhaust pipes. Ford already opens the blow off valves when the engine is warming up to not put too much pressure in the engine so if only they allowed user input by having a low-turbo or non-turbo mode button.

Back